Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Homebrewing in Germany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3337 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2839

I got yeast from a brewery in Dusseldorf. He happily (drunkily?) filled my containers, which I brought home. I got the feeling from him that home brewing was very uncommon (although he had done a bit of it himself). At another brewery, Eurige, I was not given yeast. I was also told that no one had ever asked before (that brewery has been there for 500 years-ish). So there's some data points for you. Check here for lots of pics and video.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

I'd say go for it. If you don't get to homebrew that much, you can still drink some of the best beer in the world. I'm not sure how old you are, but I were younger, I would've jumped at the chance...I've been there a few times and I'm going back next month. It's a great country.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I would probably consider hanging up homebrewing for an opportunity like that..
Agreed. I would research the sh*# out of German beer in the meantime.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Amcgough
Recipes 

So from January to August 3rd of this year I was in japan on a similar assignment and I met a German home brewer. He and I obviously drank quite a bit and spoke at length of home brewing in our respective countries. According to him, Brewing in not illegal in Germany, however you have to register with the city hall of the town you will be living in and they will want to collect taxes based on how much you brew. But, that being said, his take was that there is little to no "scene" for home brewing and it is quite difficult to get supplies without mail order. The other thing he stressed was that there is no such thing as a german IPA as there is not commercial example that her knew of being brewed. So if you are looking for something other that a traditional german style it commercially it might be difficult.

Adam

Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Back in the 70 my family moved to iran for 4 year. it was the time in my life, dont let this opportunity pass you by

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #16
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2663 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn
Back in the 70 my family moved to iran for 4 year. it was the time in my life, dont let this opportunity pass you by
So what's the homebrewing scene like in Iran?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Had a customer in the shop recently who lives in a conservative middle-eastern country. They get several of their ingredients from Iran.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
robm184
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcgough View Post
So from January to August 3rd of this year I was in japan on a similar assignment and I met a German home brewer. He and I obviously drank quite a bit and spoke at length of home brewing in our respective countries. According to him, Brewing in not illegal in Germany, however you have to register with the city hall of the town you will be living in and they will want to collect taxes based on how much you brew. But, that being said, his take was that there is little to no "scene" for home brewing and it is quite difficult to get supplies without mail order. The other thing he stressed was that there is no such thing as a german IPA as there is not commercial example that her knew of being brewed. So if you are looking for something other that a traditional german style it commercially it might be difficult.

Adam
Actually I think the German post system is probably the best in the entire world, It might just be the HBS I order from but I never received anything later than two days, from order date, and no more than about 10 euros for delivery. Got everything in the picture delivered for 10,05 and hops I put in my freezer. Also they sell American hops. The distance is about an hour North of Munich but you would have to travel if you are not comfortable with the German post system but very difficult to get anything other than Belgian, Pilsner or German traditional but not necessarily a bad thing
img_1236.jpg  

Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #19
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
AGREED.

Really, the time spent brewing could be spent touring abbeys or breweries.

HELL, I would see if I couldn't volunteer at a german brewery or get paid to do anything short of just sweeping the floor.
Aye! Not only would you be living/working within the motherland of all things brau-related, you're within a days' driving distance of epic Belgian breweries & abbies.
Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #20
skw
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm a German homebrewer, and I'm not the only one. If you speak any German, there's a forum here: http://hobbybrauer.de/ Even without any German knowledge, there are enough of us who speak some English to help you out nonetheless.

I am not aware of physical homebrew stores, but there are several mailorder companies that should give you most of the supplies. Some things tend to be done slightly different than in the US, for example BIAB, ice chest mashing or glass carboys are rare, but there's certainly nothing stopping you from continuing your hobby in metric.

Quick Reply