The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help Plate Chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
ETCS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That plate chiller has more "plates" than a shirron does, and I've mostly seen the type you have with a pump. Again, how many times have you used it and how do you clean it?

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #12
rmullins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would try having the chiller vertical with the wort in at the top.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
Gmj1980
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

used abouut 10 times now and is a special way to clean it

Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #14
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

The bends in the hose coming off the keggle are part of the issue. Standing the chiller upright will eliminate that. I would also have the chiller and keggle a bit higher, so there's more drop from the chiller to the carboy.

Part of why mine drains so well could be because I also have one of the RebelSmart items on it. That allows me to control how long the wort stays in the chiller, as well as showing me what the temperature of the wort coming out is. You could build one yourself with a T fitting, thermocouple and ball valve. Or skip the thermocouple, and just install a 90 degree fitting and ball valve.

I put QD's on the wort side connections to help make setting it up easier. It also makes flushing it much easier since I put a QD fitting on the backflush hose. I can run water through the wort side in both directions, getting most things out of it on brew day. I then let it sit with PBW solution in it for a day, or two, to really break-down any remaining organic matter. Some good rinses removes that once it's done. I also sanitize it with a recirculation (before turning on the chilling water feed). Usually for at least the last 5 minutes of the boil. This is where having a pump is critical.

I've been using the stainless steel hop spider (only part that's not stainless is the bag) for the past few/several batches. Love the thing. Makes adding hops super easy, and keeps the particles out of the chiller and fermenter. Mine has a 6" diameter opening, which is another reason it's easy to use. Plus, with it being stainless, I don't need to worry (at all) about how close to the boiling wort it gets.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
Gmj1980
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have tried stand it up and that doesn't work either.

Built a hop spider this afternoon hope I ope this will help

Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #16
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You probably need more height differences to get things to flow well... Or the chiller is plugged up from the hop matter that's been getting sent through it. Clean it out really well before you use it again, and try to get your keggle higher, as well as the chiller a bit higher, relative to the fermenter. I would also keep the tubing going into the fermenter closer to the top of it. If you submerge the tubing in the bottom, it will reduce the flow going in due to resistance. Besides, splashing at that stage is ok/wanted...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 AM   #17
Gmj1980
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the ideas or help everyone

Quick Reply