have YOU brewed an amazing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
not trying to dump on the last guy but I feel like every homebrewer has at some point brewed something they found amazing. I've only been brewing for 8 months and I already have 4 beers that fall into that category. 2 were "accidents" and 2 are really just someone elses recipes (prob shouldn't count those). But I have definately brewed beer that I would put in my top 5 of all time. I've untapp'd over 300 beers (not including BMC's) so I have an idea of what good beer is.

so what about you, have you brewed a top 5 all time favorite?

Not to put you down but share the beer with other beer nerds and see what there response is.
Most of the time we get so caught up in "I made this, its awesome" mindset.

I have brewed great beer that ive loved and others hated, ive also brewed batches where I found it lacking and not all that good and others LOVED it.
To each there own!

That other thread still has me laughing. There have been several beers where I immediately say "this is a best of show winner". There are also been several beers where I say "this is amazing. I will always have this on hand from now on." Then the rest vary between "this is a gold medal beer to this beer is getting dumped."

I also share all of my recipes and am an active member of this forum - http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog/ ;)

I made a coconut milk stout that my brother and nephew said could sell at retail and they both work for a major Canadian beer brewer :)

Of course I'm being facetious :) I'm just a lowly extract brewer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not to put you down but share the beer with other beer nerds and see what there response is.
Most of the time we get so caught up in "I made this, its awesome" mindset.

I have brewed great beer that ive loved and others hated, ive also brewed batches where I found it lacking and not all that good and others LOVED it.
To each there own!

you are missing my point. I'm trying to showcase my theory that ALL homebrewers experience a "This is the most awesome beer ever" moment. I am in no way trying to brag. I do not care if Batman AND Chuck Norris say they don't like my beer - by Gosh if I think it's amazing, then it's amazing! (to me).

That other thread still has me laughing. There have been several beers where I immediately say "this is a best of show winner". There are also been several beers where I say "this is amazing. I will always have this on hand from now on." Then the rest vary between "this is a gold medal beer to this beer is getting dumped."

I also share all of my recipes and am an active member of this forum - http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog/ ;)

and yes the other thread was hilarious. I started to feel sorry for him until someone put up a SECOND thread saying the same stuff...ahahahaha

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402160953.082739.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That thread was horrible, but I really do think he was trolling. He wasn't looking for feedback, didn't provide any meaningful discussion. Just talked about how his Spice Ale was the best.

I think it is important that comparisons are kept within the constraints of similar beers. For example I've had bourbon barrel vanilla chocolate stouts that are amazing and full of flavor, but I wouldn't compare them to something like an amber ale. To say that a beer with a load of flavor additives is better than a simple but well made beer is obtuse. I know it should be obvious to most people, but it's worth mentioning...

I've made beers that I'm proud of and felt were amazing, but I wouldn't put them on my top 5 of all time. My beers have their own merits, but there are many nuances from certain beers that I just like better. A good portion of beers that I make are clones. I have never made one that tastes 100% like the beer that I am trying to clone, so there will always be beers that I regard better than my own...because I haven't cloned them 100%. I hope that makes sense.

Also, when I design my own recipe or I use a kit then my standards of quality change. For example I might feel that a pumpkin beer that I make tastes better than most of the ones I can find on the market...but again I wouldn't compare that with something like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I might have a predilection for Belgian beers that would make me choose them over a pumpkin beer, but that doesn't change the fact that I feel the pumpkin beer is better than most of the ones I can buy. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not an easy thing to consider if you deal in absolutes.

No, I don't think I have.

I've made some excellent beers. Some were award winning, some were really great tasting and enjoyed by beer snobs, and many were better than many commercial beers I've had. Many times I've been more than pleased with the results of my brewing, and some of my best beers have earned fancy ribbons and awards.

But "amazing"? No, I don't think I've ever had or made a beer that I would call "amazing".

No, I don't think I have.

I've made some excellent beers. Some were award winning, some were really great tasting and enjoyed by beer snobs, and many were better than many commercial beers I've had. Many times I've been more than pleased with the results of my brewing, and some of my best beers have earned fancy ribbons and awards.

But "amazing"? No, I don't think I've ever had or made a beer that I would call "amazing".

maybe you are too hard on yourself or maybe I'm too easy. But if i could drink only 5 beers for the rest of my life, at least one of them would be mine...IMO, that = amazing.

maybe you are too hard on yourself or maybe I'm too easy. But if i could drink only 5 beers for the rest of my life, at least one of them would be mine...IMO, that = amazing.

Oh, well, by that standard then yes. We drink primarily homebrew because we like it best.

One of the reasons is that you can taste something, and then say, "Well I like this, but I would like a bit more toasted notes in the finish and a bit more citrus hops aroma and perhaps a bit more maltiness, so I'm going to add some toasted malt, Munich malt, and then add some amarillo hops at flame out" and then tweak a beer to your own preferences. I do that all the time, and find that while I've had some excellent commercial beers, most of the time I say, "Well, this is really good. But I can do better (and have)."

But the word "amazing" to me means "better than world class" and I have probably never used the word "amazing" to describe any beer I've ever had- even though I've had some wonderful beers.

One of my favorites was having dinner with some folks in Philadelphia after judging the National Homebrew Competition last year, and having a Damnation, followed by a fresh tapping of Pliny the Elder. Great beers, after drinking great beers (award winners!) all day. But "amazing"? No.

I would say I have some that the first time I drank, I said this is the best beer that I've brewed so far! If I can brew the best beer ever, I would probably not still fixing aircraft for a living:D

I am extremely critical of my homebrews and compare them to commercial standards. I'd say I had an IPA and a bourbon barleywine that could sell in a store. Maybe a few others but those stand out for me in my brewing career.

I think I have brewed some good-great beers. But, I have never brewed something more amazing than the best commercial examples in given styles. I have brewed some nice IPA's...... but, they were not anything like Heady, Double Sunshine, Dreadnaught, Pliny.... .etc.

I have brewed some very good Bo-pils at times, but it was not as good as fresh, kegged, Pilsner Urquell. And so it goes through every style..... well, all but one that is.

I can honestly say the best British Dark Mild I have ever had was my own......of course, it helps when you can't find a commercial example of it to save your life:p

I've never had an amazing commercial brew, ever. I like my own brew better than any commercial brew I've ever had. That is why I brew, or make bread, or cure meats, or raise crops and critters, etc. Amazing? Maybe not but one heck of a lot better than anything else that I have access to.

If I were to be destined to drink only my own brew then so be it, pretty much there now. I don't expect to change.

my beer is so amazing, I use it as deodorant. it's so amazing, I use it instead of TP. it's so amazing it will turn every other beer in the room a little better just from being in a semi-close proximity.

kinda starting to sound like i use the term amazing too loosely. Perhaps it's like the word HOT. If i go to one restaurant and order really hot, I can barely taste it, I go to another and order kinda hot, I can barely eat it. oh well.
taste is definitely subjective, I just tried a Hop, drop and roll from NoDa (took GOLD in world beer cup recently) - I did not like it at all.

Everybody's different in terms of what they want out of brewing. Me, I brewed a kit eons ago and then restarted about four years ago. I've done lots of batches that when I drank it said "Damm, this is good!", and have had others that were definitely mediocre. I also tend to brew at least 50% clones, mostly because I want to create a known good result and happen to believe that there are quite a few tasty commercial or already known home brew recipes.

Most people want positive feedback from others. I've had quite a few people who know craft beer and tell me that my brews are better than what they are buying commercially. I've also had very positive comments from non-craft beer drinkers, but mostly on non-threatening batches I do for the BMC crowd (e.g. a Citra Wheat), that I think are at best so-so. In the end, none of this really matters...what matters is what do you like and are you producing output that you enjoy drinking.

Like most here, I do this as a hobby, just because I can. While I am cheap and part of my brewing rationale is to produce craft IPA's for under $20/5 gallons (all in), none of this make sense economically when you take into account equipment costs and more importantly time involved. There are many beer snobs out there, but how many of them can make their own great tasting beer?

my beer is so amazing, I use it as deodorant. it's so amazing, I use it instead of TP. it's so amazing it will turn every other beer in the room a little better just from being in a semi-close proximity.

I think you will find that it is even more better'rn dat!. I just found a ginger beer blueberry scoby that I cut with unpastuerized carbed cider I bottled 1.5 years ago and thought it was low potential skulch. I just had 2 tankards and it is really great! Now I'm wondering what it was that I had to go do before it got dark. Dern your brews.

There are many beer snobs out there, but how many of them can make their own great tasting beer?[/QUOTE]

that's what my signature is about

Sorry for the ultra long reply. It just me reminiscing a bit and I thought I would share. Hopefully this doesn't come off as overly indulgent on my part...

That said, I'd say there are 3 examples that have stood out to me over the years. Only one was submitted for judging.

#1. Belgian Saison "Été"

Saison is my favorite style. I brewed Drew Beechum's "Été" recipe with Wyeast 3711, and I thought it was very VERY good. I'd planned on submitting it to be judged but had put it all in bombers so couldn't submit to NHC. BUT I did hold a saison tasting with several friends and fellow home brewers. There were 8 examples (4 different home-brews and 4 commercial examples including Saison Dupont and Hennepin from Ommegang, Red Barn Ale from lost Abbey, and St-Feuillien’ Saison). We were blinded to all the beers. Though it wasn't unanimous Été came out on top with some saying it was "Amazing" and one quote was "whoever brewed this is the 'schiz-nit'. So...I guess I'm the schiz-nit! :rockin:

I gave that same beer to my brother and law who also home-brews and this was his comment back to me some time later after he had tried it:

"Last night a friend came by my apartment for a visit before going back to Colorado this weekend and it occurred to me that not only was it time to crack your Saison, but it was an excellent opportunity for another homebrewer and Saison enthusiast to experience the beer. The results were both of us agreeing it was a phenomenal Saison, good work! My friend, who has done an internship at a start up brewery in Fort Collins CO, said he liked it even more than some of the FunkWerks' in Fort Collins. They specialize in Saison and they do make some amazing beers. It carbed perfectly, good color, mouthfeel, all around of the best Saisons we have both had."

Feeling pretty good about myself, I tried brewing it again and submitted it to NHC this year and got a 29 on it...one will never know what my "original" Été might have gotten.

Regardless, that article by Drew Beechum is just flat out excellent and any honor or accolade for my initial attempt really goes to him for his contributions to understanding the style and for that specific recipe formulation. I'd also credit the book Farmhouse Ales by Phil Markowski.

#2. Breakfast Stout Clone

Some time ago I had a chance to do a collaboration brew with one of my best friends who'd introduced me to brewing a while back. He really liked Founders Breakfast Stout and wondered if we could try something like that. He'd never done an AG batch so I brought my cooler connections to convert his coolers to an HLT and mash tun. I researched the recipe and came up with something that was pretty close to some versions that have been published online on a variety of forums, perhaps including this one. The secret ingredient was home roasted Sumatran coffee. We brewed it together and as he lives on the east coast I never got to try the end result. But he emailed me later regarding the beer and this is what he said:

"The Founder's clone is almost fully carbonated, probably 1-2 days away. It is not only the best homebrew I've had, it may be one of the best beers I've ever had...period...and I've had a lot of beer. I think it's better than the original. Words don't describe this beer. I really don't even know what to say, except this keg could make me very fat...."

I tried a rebrew but I didn't have the same ingredients or yeast we'd used and I thought it was just OK. It wasn't as good as the original, which probably had to do with me more than anything. I wish I could have tried that beer!

#3. Olde #10 Barleywine

I named this beer olde number 10 because it was the tenth batch of beer I'd ever brewed. Essentially it was JZ's barleywine recipe "Old Monster" with some homegrown hops and slight mods for available ingredients. It was pitched on a double yeast cake of WLP 001 and fermented at 67F. OG was an amazing 1.117 and it finished at an even more amazing 1.019.

I bottled all of it and it never really seemed to carb. I kept about a case at 50F for 18+ months and would sample it from time to time. I never was impressed and at one point considered dumping it to make room for better beer.

In the spring of 2011, I sampled it and was blown away at how good it had become. It was lightly carb'd at this point. I decided then and there to enter it into the San Diego county fair home-brew competition. As it wasn't carb'd quite to the level I would have liked, I decanted all the bottles into a 3 gallon keg and force carb'd, then used the beer gun to bottle all of it. I bottled it the morning of the competition so didn't get to sample the fully carb'd version.

Long story short it one first place in the strong ale category but fell short in the best of show. When I got home I tried it against a bottle of Alesmith's Old Numbskull which has always been one of my favorites for the style. I will say that mine was in fact "amazing". There were all these clear notes of fig, plumb and tobacco in mine...things I never would have imagined could come out from grain. It did stand out as significantly more complex than the commercial example. But the credit goes to Jamil for that recipe. His book "Brewing Classic Styles" really is a classic. To someone starting out, I'd say, if you want to brew "amazing beer" stick to that book...

Speaking of Jamil, I remember him talking about trying to formulate the Kolsch recipe and about how there are other intangibles that can make a beer seem amazing such as your surroundings, company, etc. So, perhaps for the beer to be truly amazing, it needs to be associated with something else...something which isn't directly measured but nevertheless adds to the overall experience of the beer.

Cheers!

I have made some good beer and some good wine, but amazing is something that I would never describe my own beer as. I think amazing would be if I could do it batch after batch, then I might be impressed. I have had some nice complements and it feels really good to get those, but I have a feeling that those people were more impressed with the fact that I made the beer than the actual quality of the beer.

No, I've never made anything I would call amazing. Even if I did, I think others might fail to see it that way. Taste is very subjective.

I have made a lot of "average" to "good" beers that I enjoyed and shared with friends and family. I've made more than a few disappointing beers and a few undrinkable drain-pours. But most have been good, quaffable brews. I have shared my brews with more experienced brewers and have received helpful feedback, albeit often negative about certain aspects. That's all good. I want people to nitpick, so that I can try to determine what made it that way and avoid the mistake next time. I'm kind of hard on myself, so I will never stop trying to improve.

I recently took a growler of my latest Pale Ale to my brew club monthly meeting. We have tons of BJCP judges in the club. I asked 3 experienced judges to judge my beer. They scored it 44, 42, 43. All said it was a "best in show" quality beer.

I like it, but I don't love it.

Whatever.

Well I was amazed the first time I made a milk stout that cost 22 bucks to make 5 gallons and it tasted as good as an 8 dollar six pack of Left Hand..does that count?

I've made crappy beer and amazing beer and everything in between. I like I think that as I've gotten more experienced, I make far more beers on the "good" end of the spectrum, and fewer if any on the "bad".

Then again, what I think of as "amazing" could very well be the result of ugly baby syndrome. But as I am generally hyper critical of everything I do, I like to think not.

There are many beer snobs out there, but how many of them can make their own great tasting beer?

that's what my signature is about[/QUOTE]

Yeah well, to answer your question, any "beer snob" can make great tasting beer if they want to. Anyone can make beer if they wanted.

Is it possible to get the thread back that caused this thread? I cant find it, and it was pretty funny...

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Homeboy deleted it.

I've made good beer. Probably not amazing and never once thought it was "best of show".

I have had one huge success in brewing thus far. Only disappointing part of it is that I used a recipe found online and that it is not my own creation. Being one who believes in giving credit where credit is due, "Orfy's Hobgoblin II."

I have had one huge success in brewing thus far. Only disappointing part of it is that I used a recipe found online and that it is not my own creation. Being one who believes in giving credit where credit is due, "Orfy's Hobgoblin II."

I have yet to create a single "original" brew. Everything I've made has been someone else's recipe (mostly HBT recipes these days). I still take pride in all of my (successful) brews because I know the process is just important as the recipe itself, if not more so.

Hell, even if I did try my hand at creating a unique recipe, I bet someone could google a half-dozen nearly identical recipes within a few minutes.

I did a Pliny the Elder clone that was fantastic about a year ago. It wasn't my recipe, but it was so good that it got one of my friends to start brewing with me. It's funny - we still talk about it like it was a long lost love.

Unfortunately we've been unable to repeat it. It gets close, but it's never as good. I can't get the stars to line up again.

Oh well, at least I've got the memories. :D

I really enjoyed the old thread. It was pretty funny. Maybe there was a little piling on, but nothing that doesn't happen everywhere else on the internet.

The funny part was the seemingly complete lack of understanding about what HBT represents, and why people were upset. It's a forum designed to share information and ideas. That's why I like this forum so much. You can't always take and never give back.

I have yet to create a single "original" brew. Everything I've made has been someone else's recipe (mostly HBT recipes these days). I still take pride in all of my (successful) brews because I know the process is just important as the recipe itself, if not more so.

Hell, even if I did try my hand at creating a unique recipe, I bet someone could google a half-dozen nearly identical recipes within a few minutes.

Most of what I make is "inspired by" recipes, partially because of what I happen to have in stock or available at the LHBS. I have made probably 60% of what you could call "my very own recipe." None have been bad by any stretch, but none really stand out as an amazing brew as the topic at hand is. I wouldn't call a "Vienna malt, galena bittered, amarillo flavoured pale ale" groundbreaking.

Back