The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Grain wholesalers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
dontman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Grain wholesalers?

I am wondering where to buy malt in 50 lb bags in the Philly area. Any connections?

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 36

There's any number of homebrew stores in Philly and Burbs. Keystone Homebrew has a location in Montgomeryville, and they RAWK!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 11-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

They might rawk, but they also rape on full sack prices. I'd highly recommend trying to get in on a pallet group buy if possible.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'd highly recommend trying to get in on a pallet group buy if possible.
Or plan a vaction to the Adairondacks and make a little side trip to North Country Malt Supply. That's what I did last summer. Or drive to Indiana and have your brother stop at Mid-Country (same people) outside Chicago on his way to the family reunion. That was this summer.

I'm thinking of hitting the Adairondacks again next year. Vacation and malt!
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
They might rawk, but they also rape on full sack prices. I'd highly recommend trying to get in on a pallet group buy if possible.
Exactly, I should have specified wholesale, not retail. Retailers charge a $1.40 a pound. I am looking to spend maybe $.65.

I would love to get in a pallet group purchase. I am in for up to 300 lbs. I don' really belong to any local groups to do this with though.

PJJ, I found the North Country website last night and they are close to what I need. Especially, if like you say, I could go there and pick it up. Alas I do not see that happening. I worked out shipping and its not too too bad. $20 and change per 50 lb pound sack (still adding $.40 per pound)

That was weird when you started talking about a brother in Indiana. I thought you were talking about my brother, who lives in Indiana, and I was wondering how you knew that about me.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Quick Reply