Good resource on styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
When serving up a couple bottles of homebrew, I'd love to be able to impress my friends with an encyclopedic knowledge of beer styles, but unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding out that information in order to absorb it. Googling each beer style turns up either info pages about commercial beers or beer recipes, but I'm having a hard time pinning down, for example, just what exactly makes a hefeweizen a hefeweizen and not a wheat beer, or a porter a porter and not a stout, or an apfelwein an apfelwein and not a hard cider.

I'm looking for a really good resource on beer styles, since Google isn't being entirely forthcoming.

I recently was talking to my buddy about all my beer stuff and I said "Oh did I tell you about that imperial stout I am thinking of brewing????" his reply was "I don't know man.... you tell me a lot."

Haha so I figure if I am telling him a lot I will cut down the info, like when my homebrew is ready :p

I found some good stuff on beer advocate also...

The other main reference for beer styles is here. The main difference: BJCP is focused on styles for competitions, BA is focused on commercially available styles. For homebrewers who are interested in competitions, BJCP is the way to go.

The book that turned alot of people around on here and certainly worked for me was Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. It's an analysis of all of the beer styles and the typical ingredients that make up each style. Its perfect for those people who are wanting to make great beer within a category and not use a kit. It tells you how to make your own recipes! :mug:

Designing Great Beers is in fact a marvel. It gives a great history of every typical beer ingredient as well as nearly all modern and past styles. Kyle

I have Michael Jackson's Eyewitness Companion. It's a nice easy read on styles, and then goes around the world describing each countries styles and gives examples from all the regions and countries.

Latest posts

Back