Good Hop Schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaLordBeer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying my hand at making an IIPA recipe and I was having some difficulties trying to figure out a hop schedule. I'm making a 2.5g batch too. I have 1oz each of Zythos, Warrior, Summit, Cascade and Chinook. Is it bad to max and match when making the beer? Trying to get a relatively high-ish IBU..Any suggestions would be awesome..thanks!

Also...here's the grain bill...

7lbs 2-row
6oz cara-pils/dextrine
2oz crystal 40L

With an IIPA i would try to match gravity with IBUs. If your gravity is going to be 1.075...at least shoot for 75 if not more IBUs (that is my opinion.) If you want to get fancy make sure your sulfate levels in your water is at least 200 ppm. As for what hops when, do your research on each one. Find out what flavors each one has. Use your strongest (alpha acid wise) in the beginning (they wont put much of their flavor in tho) and then use the hops that have the flavor you want in the last 15 minutes of the boil. The one you want most prevelant in the last 5 - 0 minutes of the boil. Hope this helps you to make your own hop schedule.

Back to the question though...You'll typically want to shoot for a calculated IBU of 100+ you'll never realistically get that much, but if you want a nice firm bitterness, that's where to start.

EDIT: didn't realize it was a 2.5gal batch! Use 1oz Warrior at the start of boil. 1oz Chinnok at 15min, then 1/2oz each Zythos, Summit, and Cascade at 0min. Then use the other 1/2oz of Zythos, Summit, and Cascade to dry hop.

That will give you a huge citrusy punchy aroma to the beer.

thanks a lot for the quick responses. I'll definitely take your advice on the 60min-15min-then flame out additions. gonna brew later this week..hopefully all goes well. thanks again!

Back