Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #1821
MustBeZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewdad View Post

The use of the word "beer" is funny, but seeing as how the list has all sorts of drinks on it, I can see why they included it. Otherwise, they would certainly be pouring beers out when someone even more clueless ordered a Blue Moon thinking they were getting a fruity blue drink.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Would have looked a lot better if they put beer in parentheses.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #1822
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1603 Times on 1131 Posts
Likes Given: 2645

My m-i-l is a lovely lady but her beer knowledge is limited. When I first met her and told her I was fond of good beer she responded "me too I love good beer!". "Oh yeah? Do you have a favorite?" "Yes, draft beer!"

Now she tastes all the beer I order (and make) and has been forming some interesting opinions . I think the most endearing was the chocolate stout I made. "This is great, but what made you think to put chocolate in it??"

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

JimmytheGeek Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1823
BoxMan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this here, but I've been to several liquor stores where they refer to Guinness Draught as "Droe", or "Drought". I just kind of smile and nod.

Also, I can't count the number of comments I've read online about people "getting part of the bottling equipment" in their Guinness Draught bottles.

Secondary -
5 gallon unhopped test braggot

Bottled -
Nothing still

Future plans:
Medieval Ale, High Gravity Fruit Braggot, Medium Sweet Vanilla Braggot, Ancient Gose, Triple-Hopped Caffeinated Ale

Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #1824
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Hey you two! Chill out! Go to PMs rather than derailing this thread with unfunny things not about beer! I can see this turning into a worse debate than the economists...
I read that and swear this was done on purpose.
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)
SudsyPaul Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #1825
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMan View Post
I'm sure I'm not the first to say this here, but I've been to several liquor stores where they refer to Guinness Draught as "Droe", or "Drought". I just kind of smile and nod.

Also, I can't count the number of comments I've read online about people "getting part of the bottling equipment" in their Guinness Draught bottles.
Drought rhymes with knot, correct?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #1826
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeZ View Post
Gotta love Murphys stout beer.
Stout can be used as an adjective. Think of it as the word "strong" or "robust". It's not very common anymore, but it's still a correct usage of the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout
Quote:
Originally, the adjective stout meant "proud" or "brave", but later, after the 14th century, it took on the connotation of "strong". The first known use of the word stout for beer was in a document dated 1677 found in the Egerton Manuscript,[4] the sense being that a stout beer was a strong beer. The expression stout porter was applied during the 18th century to strong versions of porter, and was used by Guinness of Ireland in 1820 – although Guinness had been brewing porters since about 1780, having originally been an ale brewer from its foundation in 1759. Stout still meant only "strong" and it could be related to any kind of beer, as long as it was strong: in the UK it was possible to find "stout pale ale", for example. Later, stout was eventually to be associated only with porter, becoming a synonym of dark beer. During the last part of the 19th century, stout porter beer gained the reputation of being a healthful, strengthening drink, so that it was used by athletes and nursing mothers, while doctors often recommended it to help recovery.[10]

Because of the huge popularity of porters, brewers made them in a variety of strengths. The beers with higher gravities were called "Stout Porters". There is still division and debate on whether stouts should be a separate style from porter. Usually the only deciding factor is strength.[11]
See also Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #1827
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Well actually...

Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #1828
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 761 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber
Well actually...
Exactly what I was thinking. Hahaha

Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #1829
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

are we back to archaic but correct again?

was that this thread? I'm NOT going back to check, just wondering

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

malweth Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #1830
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yea it was this thread and I was thinking about that when I did my post, but I stand by my statement that it is ok to use it as an adjective.

Quick Reply