Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The ever changing opinions of proper techniques in brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #101
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
I do 120 minute boils now...for a few reasons:

Better coagulation
Lower ph
color (carmelization)
maltier (malliard reactions)
higher OG

Also, not necessarily making a better beer, after the first hour, I check my volumes and calculate my boil off, I then adjust the time or strength of the boil to get the exact volume I want. I literally hit my exact volume every time. Finally, with a two hour boil and since I only late hop, I get 1 hour and 40 minutes of free time. I now bottle a batch and dry hop another. One brew day...everything done.

Randy Mosher talks about the 120 minute boil as a lazy mans decoction in Radical...check it out. That is where I heard it and I tried it. LOVED THE results. Such an easy way to balance out a lower ABV but hoppy brew. Which brings me back to my point early in this...try things, experiment and do what you like and what works for you. 120 boils will probably never be the norm or even a minority of brewers, but its what I like for the reasons above and its why I do it.
Is this for your "normal" beers? You know your typical Ipa's, Pales, whatevers, basic every day beers? Like I said earlier I've only ever done it for huge beers- gone longer than 90.

So obviously your pre-boil volumes are adjusted to accommodate this, right?

Interesting, something new to play with. I missed this in Radical Brewing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #102
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm trying to shorten my brew day..not make it longer!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #103
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I'm more interested in making great beer than doing it quick.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Nightshade Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #104
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

the faster I do it the more I brew! winning! LOL

Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #105
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer46 View Post
the faster I do it the more I brew! winning! LOL
Bah... Just brew larger batches. How long a batch takes me is how long it takes me. I think the longest, total brew time (from setup to getting back home) was about 8 hours. It was a longer boil, and I had some equipment issues to work through (first time using some new items). I've gone as short as about 5 hours with an hour boil. That's from weighing the grain to cleaning up.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #106
organ
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
You been brewing for TWO WHOLE YEARS!!! Wow, you must be some kind of expert by now. Have you thought about just going back to brewing and getting over yourself? Some of us have been homebrewing for over 35 years and after many experiments, bow to the time honored traditions. Those people were not fools, and they had hundreds of years to perfect their knowledge. Why do you suppose Sam Adams brews in the traditional manner? Some of their beers are decoction brewed.

Yeah, concerning the premise for your post, I can agree, you can hear anything anymore because there are a bunch of WANNABEEs only interested in trying to exalt themselves with their supposed knowledge of brewing. My suggestion is to ground oneself in Fix, Donaldson, Miller, Noonan, and those who have proven themselves, then forget about the Johnny-come-lately bunch with all their mis-information.
I've been brewing for thousands of years; don't tell anybody, but, 'twas I who first turned water into wine. Jesus was working on a clone recipe.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #107
skw
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichusetts View Post
I think the main fallacy in this thinking is that there is a "proper" way to do things.
That.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #108
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I'm more interested in making great beer than doing it quick.
Great beer takes time and in my brewing day what honestly is another hour to get the best results I can? Nothing when the end results speak for themselves.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #109
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I got one. Somehow I got this notion that caramelizing wort is bad and I'll ruin my beer and go to hell. So I made a great beer a while back, but on brew day I had excess sparge water that I boiled along side the kettle and just topped off when I had room. I thought I did something WRONG and brewed the same recipe with the correct amount of sparge water. What resulted was a completely different beer. Not bad (over hopped) but not great. I realized my "mistake" was what made the first batch great. After a little research I learned that boiling a small portion of wort and adding it back is a common practice in some English and Scottish styles of beer. It gives a unique flavor that balanced my first batch perfectly.
I finally understand Rumsfeld; there's things I know I don't know but there's also things I don't know I don't know. Ha. The books are great ways to get started brewing. They give a clear concise path to make beer. We all grow from that and realize there are many paths to take. Papazian has said when the tide rises, all boats go up. HBT is a perfect example of that. Thousands of brewers sharing their experience benefits all of us.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #110
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm a newbie, so I am still in that filtering stage of figuring out what I like and what works best for me. I love to see all the different viewpoints and methods. At the end of the day it's only beer so it would be nice if a few individuals didn't hold their nose so high in the air.... but sometimes things just come across that way, it is the internet after all and at least Godwin's Law isn't coming up in every thread

I don't have anything to contribute except to say thanks to everyone who gets into conversations and exposes their methods and opinions. All of it advances the hobby in some way and us newbies really have it easy with all of the experimentation that has come before us!

Quick Reply