Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassBeeJ

Reaction score
So, I started dry hopping (2 ozs whole cone Cascade) my IPA nearly 2 weeks ago and was told this weekend by my wonderful wife that a new kegging system is on its way for Father's Day. Should I wait and let it sit on the hops over 2 weeks so I can use my keg for the first time or should I go ahead and bottle? I am quite conflicted.

Can you chill the fermentor? That would slow down the process a bit. Me? I'd wait, you're going to love kegging.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I guess maybe I can throw it in the tub to try and keep it cool. I've decided it's probably worth the wait. I'm beyond excited to keg by first brew.

Wait for the kegerator it will be fine and even better when you pull your first one. congrats.

Kegging is the second best homebrewing decision I ever made. Followed only by starting to homebrew in the first place. I built my keezer back in March and we are slowly adding kegs and taps to it. I didn't realize how much bottling sucks until I started kegging. Enjoy it, man.

I would probably double dry hop it. Rack onto another batch of hops to wait it out. I double dry hopped my last IPA and the aroma was amazing.

Cascade can give some grassy flavors if left for too long, but I think you will be fine. If you were really concerned you could rack to secondary and add another round of dry hops while you wait for your kegerator.

I am waiting on mine too, I have an IPA that has been on Amarillo and Cascade dryhops for 8 days now, The kegerator gets here tomorrow, I can't wait to just rack into a keg rather than bottle. :rockin:

Maybe pull the dry hops if they're in sacks & wait for the kegging supplies to arrive. Don't want grassy flavors developing while you wait...

Well, keg, fridge, CO2 are all here. It's a used keg, so I'm soaking it tonight and will keg it tomorrow. It will be a total of 15 days on the hops...I'm coming to grips with the "earthiness" I may attain, but I'll update ASAP

Well, keg, fridge, CO2 are all here. It's a used keg, so I'm soaking it tonight and will keg it tomorrow. It will be a total of 15 days on the hops...I'm coming to grips with the "earthiness" I may attain, but I'll update ASAP

A lot of the hop aroma may be gone/faded after 15 days. I don't keg, but have heard of people adding dry hops to their keg. Might want to toss an extra ounce to the keg to give it some fresh "punch". Hopefully another kegging home brewer can give you instructions, if any are needed.

Congrats on the awesome wife.

I give it a B+, but not due to the hops. Seems to be no ill effects or grassiness from the extra couple of days. I do LOVE Cascade hopes though.

Back