New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Don't pour away bad beers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Johnnyhitch1
Crawl Space Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 2943

Seems like your pale was to hoppy and thinning it out made it more palateable for you.

Not a fan of blending "bad" beer. I have blended my coffee ipa with my belgian dubbel and that was fantastic.
I will say ive never really dumped a batch, but have given a bunch of my first couple batches away because i just didnt want to deal with it.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: All out Riot DIPA, NZ Brett 2014
Aging: Oud bruin w/ ECY02, Brett Oatmeal Stout, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have a brown porter in bottles right now that has a nasty phenolic character to it. I used half a case the other day to fill the water pan in my smoker. I plan to do that again this weekend. It's not going to waste, but I'm certainly not drinking it.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I've only had one batch (out of about 15) I had to dump, I tried pretty much everything to save it. Blending, flavoring, time, nothing worked. It broke my heart, but I finally dumped it. Lately had a light ale turn out "too" light. No bad flavor, just no flavor! Blending with a stronger beer not only made it drinkable, made it good. The strong beer was too strong anyway, now 2 poor beers are 1 good beer! They blend wines, & whiskeys, I see no reason not to save 2 so so brews.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Quaffman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've had 2 batches that became gushers. The turkey baster I'd been using to take hydrometer readings had some bacteria in it. I drank as many add I could, but ended up dumping about half of the Stout batch and a third of the ESB. No longer take a sample during fermentation anymore. I always reach my final gravities so I test it at kegging time now.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #15
Norselord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
I've only had one batch (out of about 15) I had to dump, I tried pretty much everything to save it. Blending, flavoring, time, nothing worked. It broke my heart, but I finally dumped it. Lately had a light ale turn out "too" light. No bad flavor, just no flavor! Blending with a stronger beer not only made it drinkable, made it good. The strong beer was too strong anyway, now 2 poor beers are 1 good beer! They blend wines, & whiskeys, I see no reason not to save 2 so so brews.
This is what i had happen and what i was trying to express.

Quick Reply