The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Doesn't seem to have that bite...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 101 Posts

Default Doesn't seem to have that bite...

I have a few batches of homebrew that i'm drinking. My latest one is a Czech Pils on tap and it's is really good and probably my best yet, but it doesn't have that crisp taste..I just cracked a Weihenstephaner. Man it's just plain GREAT! I know it's the oldest brewery in the world and they have a head start on me, but man it's so good. It has that crisp clean taste..How can I get there?

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You do brew all grain right? First step, start with a solid malt backbone, use continental pils malt. Don't add any caramel or sweet speciality malts, you only need one malt to make a pilsner: pilsner malt. Next, use authentic continental hops, Halletau, Tettnang or Saaz and make sure they are fresh, that usually means using pellets. Give the beer a firm bitterness, and a touch of aroma/flavor. The most important part of making a great pilsner: fermentation. Pitch plenty, and I mean plenty, of healthy yeast at a cold temperature. It is very important to use liquid yeast of German or Czech origin. Ferment the beer around 50F, keep it nice and cold, this will give the beer a nice smooth character and make it very clean. It is important to reach a low terminal gravity, this will make the beer dry and crisp, refreshing. Make sure to lager for, at least, one month, two would be better, the more patience the better the beer. The beer must have good carbonation to accentuate the dryness and make it taste even crisper.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #3
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz
You do brew all grain right? First step, start with a solid malt backbone, use continental pils malt. Don't add any caramel or sweet speciality malts, you only need one malt to make a pilsner: pilsner malt. Next, use authentic continental hops, Halletau, Tettnang or Saaz and make sure they are fresh, that usually means using pellets. Give the beer a firm bitterness, and a touch of aroma/flavor. The most important part of making a great pilsner: fermentation. Pitch plenty, and I mean plenty, of healthy yeast at a cold temperature. It is very important to use liquid yeast of German or Czech origin. Ferment the beer around 50F, keep it nice and cold, this will give the beer a nice smooth character and make it very clean. It is important to reach a low terminal gravity, this will make the beer dry and crisp, refreshing. Make sure to lager for, at least, one month, two would be better, the more patience the better the beer. The beer must have good carbonation to accentuate the dryness and make it taste even crisper.
This is good. On your points,
I'm doing extract batches at this time.
I'm using Hallertau and Saaz hops for this recipe.
I'm also using a Pilsner Lager Liquid yeast at a temp around 60F.
I think i need to ferment at a colder temp and for a longer period of time. I'm working on getting a lager fridge. It's the Lagering that i have to work on...

Last edited by Bulls Beers; 01-13-2008 at 03:27 AM.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 AM   #4
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

I guess I need to learn how to lager...

Last edited by Bulls Beers; 01-13-2008 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply