Converting the masses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilltownBandit

Reaction score
I live with six guys (I'm in college, it's not weird). We have always been known as the drunk guys, now that I have started brewing the past year it's gotten even better haha... However, three of my roommates are strictly light beer keystone light piss water drinkers. They have all drank my beer, they like it, but I am looking to get them to see through my eyes. Any ideas on how to get these guys into the craft/good/hoppy beers?

I live with six guys (I'm in college, it's not weird). We have always been known as the drunk guys, now that I have started brewing the past year it's gotten even better haha... However, three of my roommates are strictly light beer keystone light piss water drinkers. They have all drank my beer, they like it, but I am looking to get them to see through my eyes. Any ideas on how to get these guys into the craft/good/hoppy beers?

Why don't you look through their eyes? They are drinking what they like, why try and change that? There's nothing wrong with liking light American lagers.

If your roommates get a taste for good beer, they'll drink all of your good beer. I say let them drink their Keystone in peace, and don't evangelize.

are you the beer equivalent of a Jehovah's witness? To each their own, if they don't like more beer for you.

Who declared you "he who must shove his "superior :rolleyes:" taste in beer down other people's throats?"

Who made you in charge of what people should or shouldn't drink?

It's not your job to convert them.

People like what they like. If they like Bud Light, that's their perogative.

you really want another three people to have to supply? i'm greedy, i guess.

try to ease them onto craft beer with something tasty, yet accessible, like colt 45.

don't let the smooth taste fool ya!

I get what the OP is saying. I play in a band. The other guys usually drink crap beer. I always bring beer and they suck it down like it's free (yeah, see what I did there?). Next week, they show up with their Bud Light, knowing I won't be drinking any of their beer. Week in and week out, I would bring good beer hoping that once, just once, someone would show up with a sixer of Sierra or otherwise. Never.

So now I don't bring my homebrew. I'll stop and buy a 22 oz of something I want to try. Screw the other guys.

1. They are perfectly content with their beer.
2. They mooch off of my beer and never bother to even symbolically pay me back.

I stopped trying to make everyone fit my mold.

Haha... Come on guys, I'm not trying to "evangelize". I'm more-so just looking for a good recipe for a lawnmower beer.

Now having thoroughly ***** slapped you (in a good natured way of course), if you'd like to brew a beer that your housemates might actually enjoy, because you're a good ambassador of beer, and not a pompous *****, as well as a good housemate, you might consider brewing Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale), because not only does it use the same ingredients as most commercial light lagers, it is an ale and has a bit more flavor. But it's not hoppy, so they might actually enjoy it, and not make a pucker face and pour it out.

Having tasted it, they might actually be open to expanding their horizons. But if they don't that's their choice as well.

Haha... Come on guys, I'm not trying to "evangelize". I'm more-so just looking for a good recipe for a lawnmower beer.

That's about a million miles away from your arrogant and pompous "I'm better than them" first post in this thread was. See my above post.

"Converting the masses" is Evangelizing....I'm sure you can lay your hands on a dictionary somewhere in college, look it up. ;)

That's not what your first post said. At all.

Some good recipes to try would be:

Belgian Wit
Blonde Ale
Steam Beer
Light Lager (if you can control temps properly)

But seriously, why bother making what they want. Make what you want and tell them to either keep their damn hands off your beer, or pay for the ingredients themselves. (and help brew it).

Back