Controlling ferment temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
So I'm brewing my first batch and wondering what is the best way to control the temp. Planning on using a two stage system. And would a carboy or bucket be easier to control?

They would both be relatively equal. If you don't have a johnson controls box (or something equivalent) and a fermenting fridge, you can make a mini swamp cooler. Just take a keg bucket and fill with water to about the same level as your 5 gallons. Then take a t-shirt and cover your bucket. Next, add frozen water bottles to the water (you may have to change these out pretty frequently. You can also put a fan on the bucket as well to lower a few more degrees. All of these together can lower your temp by about 10 degrees.

What do you keep your air conditioning at?

I just put my bucket in a water bath and swap out ice packs throughout the day to stay at the temp I want.

I just put my bucket in a water bath and swap out ice packs throughout the day to stay at the temp I want.

This has worked pretty well for me also. During the most active part of fermentation I had to swap out 2 frozen water bottles twice a day. After fermentation slowed is was only 1 bottle 1-2 times a day.

Latest posts

Back