Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > College Students and Beer Head.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
tspilker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default College Students and Beer Head.

I went to a friend's recently. It wasn't a party, but its definitely a "gathering" of sorts.

I brought a few bottles of my first home brew attempt with me for sharing purposes. A few of us are sitting in the shop talking and I decide im going to get a few glasses and pour a few drinks for a couple of these people. I do so, and I pour them and distribute them.

The first thing I hear is "Why did you pour with so much head" I look up to say "it's a porter, and that's a 1-finger head at most" and I see my friend wipe his nose, and start swirling it on the top of the beer to "kill the head"

I remember us doing this long ago when using beer bongs... but I guess I expected a little more class from my friends these days. Granted, my first attempt at brewing was mediocre at best, but I would like to think that with a home brew of any kind comes a level of sophistication that shouldn't be pooled with Natty Ice or something.

Ive seen the same thing done when I have brought over other beers of the non-natty variety (Sierra Nevada Bigfoot specifically)

I get it... but I just dont get it. If that makes sense.

I see the head as one of the most beautiful elements of a beer, followed right by it's color and clarity. Why ruin it?

Primary1, 2, 3: Empty
Secondary Fermenter: Empty
Kegged: Nothing
Bottled: Ironmaster Porter, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein, Tyler's IPA (Triple Cs IPA)
Future Plans: DC Raspberry Stout, EdWort's Robust Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There is a lot of unteaching we have to do.....

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You mentioned college in the title but not in the story, so I'm guessing you're in college as well. Invite your friends over for a brew day. Share one of your past brews with a commercial beer that is similar so that they can see that beer that people buy can be made at home. I like to make a pie-graph with a thin slice that represents all of the styles of beer with the slice being american light lager, which is about 85% of what we see when we go to the store. There are so many other flavors out there to experience.

Beer that I want to get me drunk should have no head. Beer that I want to experience damn well better have one (unless it's a barleywine ).

Don't discount your friends, just their taste in beer.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 04-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #4
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Atleast they didn't harass you for pouring it into a glass.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
tspilker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Atleast they didn't harass you for pouring it into a glass.
They also did that.

"Dude, where are you going, you dont need a glass"

Most of the beers I find worth drinking I can only drink from a glass. Like I said, the visual of the beer is important. I think it's just as important as the flavor.

Bottled: Ironmaster Porter, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein, Tyler's IPA (Triple Cs IPA)

Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
tspilker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
You mentioned college in the title but not in the story, so I'm guessing you're in college as well. Invite your friends over for a brew day. Share one of your past brews with a commercial beer that is similar so that they can see that beer that people buy can be made at home. I like to make a pie-graph with a thin slice that represents all of the styles of beer with the slice being american light lager, which is about 85% of what we see when we go to the store. There are so many other flavors out there to experience.

Beer that I want to get me drunk should have no head. Beer that I want to experience damn well better have one (unless it's a barleywine ).

Don't discount your friends, just their taste in beer.
That's a good idea. Yeah, I forgot to say we are college students. We just go to different schools. These are actually all high school friends that I met up with in this story.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

They are probably the same folks who find it necessary to pump the keg incessantly, then complain about the foam and blame it on the crappy keg.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
tspilker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
They are probably the same folks who find it necessary to pump the keg incessantly, then complain about the foam and blame it on the crappy keg.
How about the guys who beer bong the remains in the keg the next morning?

Thinking about that makes me want to vomit. Warm next day keg remnants of a partially killed busch light keg (also known as 'Pullman water').

Last edited by tspilker; 04-10-2009 at 03:58 AM.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a buddy that thinks the head is the greatest thing in the world. He always poors the beer as fast as possible, straight into the glass. 15oz of head, irritates the S**T out of me.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

These are obviously people who don't drink beer for the taste. The foam enhances the aroma and flavor of the beer. By killing the head they are trying to make it taste less noticable. They probably also prefer beer ice cold to further reduce the flavor.

Craig

Quick Reply