Cleaning a counter flow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewcrazy

Reaction score
Hey guy's,

I have been thinking about using a counter flow chiller instead of an immersion chiller. Everything I've read says counterflow is a more efficient way of cooling the wort. My biggest concern is sanitation, and how to keep it clean after each use. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping it clean.

Cheers,:mug:
Frank

Hey guy's,

I have been thinking about using a counter flow chiller instead of an immersion chiller. Everything I've read says counterflow is a more efficient way of cooling the wort. My biggest concern is sanitation, and how to keep it clean after each use. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping it clean.

Cheers,:mug:
Frank

Do you have a pump? If so, recirculate hot PBW through it. This doesn't need to be a food grade (eg March) pump. If you only use it for cleaning you can get a cheaper pump like a sump pump.

Some people will run a foam earplug through it. I think if you keep leaf hops out of it, and leaf hops are easy to strain, 10-15 minutes of recirculated hot PBW would be more than adequate.

No pump, but if need be I will invest in one... But if I don't have to, can the cleaning be done without a pump? How in the world does a person get a sponge earplug through?

Do you have one of those jet bottle washers that you use for cleaning out carboys & bottles? I just hook up the jet bottle washer to the faucet, take a length of 5/8" high temp tubing and push the tubing over the end of the jet bottle washer and the other end onto the top input of the CFC. The tubing pushes the release arm back and holds it open on the jet bottle washer. I then hook another tube up to the exit of the CFC and put the open end into the sink to avoid a mess :D Then I simply open up the hot water and let it run for 5-10 min. Once it's done I usually blow the water out using my air compressor and let it dry. I then run starsan through it before I'm ready to actually use it again.

Jet bottle washer available here if you don't already have one: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/jet-bottle-washer.html

I recirculate (with pump) hot water through immediately after use, twice for 10 minutes. The day it gets used, it get's blasted with 20 psi of steam. 10 minutes before the end of the boil, boiling wort is pumped through and back into the kettle.

I gravity feed PBW threw it until it runs clear then cap and store with the PBW inside. I rinse out the PBW with starsan on the next brew day. Cleaned and sanitized.

Back