New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Classified Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Classified Question

Hey all im new to the forum, and i have a question in regards to the classifieds section, I am a fellow home brewer and i am in the finishing stages of writing a home brew recipe book. I am not a Business, so i was wondering if it would be against forum rules to place a link to where the book can be purchased once it is release, i only ask because under the classified section it says "No commercial ads". It is my understanding for an add to be commercial it has to be placed by a business, which i am not, so i want to make sure its ok first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Anyone?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Txbrew is the owner of the forums. He is a cool guy i would suggest PM'ing him since he is the ruler of these lands and see what he thinks/says. Maybe you could buy a ad on here. This website probably gets more Home brew traffic then the rest of the web combined.

Good luck on your venture.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A moderator is going to have to answer that question. You might want to PM one of them directly.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3853 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance71975 View Post
Hey all im new to the forum, and i have a question in regards to the classifieds section, I am a fellow home brewer and i am in the finishing stages of writing a home brew recipe book. I am not a Business, so i was wondering if it would be against forum rules to place a link to where the book can be purchased once it is release, i only ask because under the classified section it says "No commercial ads". It is my understanding for an add to be commercial it has to be placed by a business, which i am not, so i want to make sure its ok first.
No commercial ads. That means no. Anything produced for profit is not allowed.

The classifieds are for selling excess "stuff"- like a spare co2 tank or even brewery gear. Not for for-profit ventures. Or even in the case of some friends I know, losing money type ventures!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
FireDancer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I got curious and found this short thread. Maybe Vendor membership is a way.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No commercial ads. That means no. Anything produced for profit is not allowed.

The classifieds are for selling excess "stuff"- like a spare co2 tank or even brewery gear. Not for for-profit ventures. Or even in the case of some friends I know, losing money type ventures!
Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of a classified section? Because truly by definition, If you have used something for a few years, or even a few times, you got your use out of it, and are reselling it, then it is in fact profit because you have already got your moneys worth out of it.

To me, it sounds like this forum has put its rules in place to MAKE a profit by forcing members to buy a vendor account even if they are not a vendor, which i am not, nor am i a business,im an author who is trying to get the word out about his first book. I'm not some rich guy who can drop thousands on advertising or even hundreds for that matter. I am Self Publishing which means i got no big advance from a publishing house, no one paying for ads for the book, no one out promoting it, no media coverage all i got is ME and word of mouth.

As a matter a fact, I am not trying to "Sell" Anything only share information about something that will be available for sale, should someone want to look for it.

Last edited by Vance71975; 01-14-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Nickeldeposit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

.....ummm so hows your homebrewing going? Nice weather today.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
TPora
Recipes 

Vance,
Yooper's post said "Anything produced for profit" is not allowed. Just because you're not "a business" doesn't mean that the book that you are producing for profit is exempt from the rules.

"Sharing information about something available for sale" is called an advertisement. And most of the time those cost money...just like hosting a file server for a homebrewing forum and moderating it costs money.

You're going about this the wrong way, antagonizing the people who create and keep up this forum is going to get you nowhere. Next time, instead of fighting the rules, start a thread titled "I'm writing a book of homebrew recipes, anybody want to add a recipe or give me ideas on how to market it when it's finished?" Then you would have a buttload of people wanting to add their recipe...and you would get publicity without anybody knowing it's publicity/advertising. The people who ask to add their recipe will know about the upcoming book and might want buy it to see if their recipe made the cut or they'd suggest it to a friend to find out.

Last edited by TPora; 01-14-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default classified

this probably sounds stupid, but where is the classified section?

Quick Reply