Chill times repository

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundownhouse

Reaction score
It would be nice to have a thread where whoever wants to contribute can record how long it takes to chill their beer from boil to knock out. Today I'm brewing a lager and so far it is taking forever to get down to 50dF or less. I'd love to know what kinds of chillers lager brewers are using to get wort down to 50dF or less at KO, and how long it's taking. But that would also be good info for everyone to have, and for more temps than just 50dF. For readability, a sample entry:

Wort Volume: 12g
Chiller: 50' copper IC
Chiller supply: Ground water until wort 100dF, then ice water recirculated
Chiller supply temps: Did not measure, but would guess city water is in the 70's here now
Misc.: Have a pump whirlpooling the wort while chilling
Time from boil to 100dF: ~13m
Time from 100F to 65dF: ~20m
Time from 65dF to 50dF: Gave up at 58dF after running out of ice at 90m total chilling

I had few problems in the winter when ground water was much colder. If a plate chiller - or something else - would reduce my chill times significantly I would consider buying one. But 90m+ to get down to lager temps is a real kick in the nuts.

Latest posts

Back