Can you re-pitch yeast to an already carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity88

Reaction score
I tried liquid yeast for the fist time on a lager I was doing but after the active fermentation was over, I checked the alcohol and it was only at 2%.. I needed my fermenter so I kegged it and pressurized. It was very belgiany and bannanay so I left it alone. So I tried it today ( 3 months afterward) and it's not a sour as it was but still too sweet and also..only 2%...
Sorry for the long intro but my question..

Can I transfer it back to a fermenter, pitch yeast and actually have it work out?

Thanks.

I don't see why not, pitch your starter at high krausen to maximize the yeast's health and viability.

Might run into some issues with the carbonation though.

Worth a shot, let us know what happens!

I tried liquid yeast for the fist time on a lager I was doing but after the active fermentation was over, I checked the alcohol and it was only at 2%.. I needed my fermenter so I kegged it and pressurized. It was very belgiany and bannanay so I left it alone. So I tried it today ( 3 months afterward) and it's not a sour as it was but still too sweet and also..only 2%...
Sorry for the long intro but my question..

Can I transfer it back to a fermenter, pitch yeast and actually have it work out?

Thanks.

How are you estimating the ABV? Did you take an OG and a FG reading? The % scale on the hydrometer does not give you the ABV.

The starting gravity was 1.050 and the reading after fermentation stopped was 1.030, soo, ends up being about 2.9% or so.

Does that change anything?

Well either way, I put everything back in the fermenter and brewed up a 1 gallon batch of pretty much the same ingredients as I had with the original and added it to the fermenter (mostly to get some extra sugar in there). Even though I had gone with a liquid lager yeast, I didn't have any on hand, so I went with a dry safale I had. Less than 24 hrs later we have action.

We'll see what happens with the flavors this time around, but at least it will have alcohol..

The starting gravity was 1.050 and the reading after fermentation stopped was 1.030, soo, ends up being about 2.9% or so.

Does that change anything?

Well either way, I put everything back in the fermenter and brewed up a 1 gallon batch of pretty much the same ingredients as I had with the original and added it to the fermenter (mostly to get some extra sugar in there). Even though I had gone with a liquid lager yeast, I didn't have any on hand, so I went with a dry safale I had. Less than 24 hrs later we have action.

We'll see what happens with the flavors this time around, but at least it will have alcohol..

So I am curious to hear how this worked out for you. I have an Imperial IPA I brewed a few weeks ago and after carbing it and tasting, find it to be too sweet and malty I think the beer was too big for my yeast and it "pooped out." I've pulled the keg, letting it warm to about 65, and will rehydrate and pitch some safale 05.

Latest posts

Back