Brewing technique? Just an idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Well I had a weird idea. I thought it might be interesting to try but I wouldn't really have a way to see the difference (unless you guys think if something) between this brew and another. I am going to brew a oatmeal stout. I was thinking I would do the usually brew but also brew a mini beer with nothing but chocolate and coffee malts. Probably about 1/2 gallon in the mix and maybe some spices. I havnt quite worked out the detail yet. Anyhow, I plan on adding this extra wort at the end of the oatmeal stouts boil. Last ten minutes? Would this do anything for the beer? Add a little extra flavor?

I have never heard of doing something like this. I had no luck on the search either. Any thoughts? Waste of time?

So your plan is to brew 2 batches: The first just an oatmeal stout, and the second chocolate and coffee malt steeped in hot water? Then you want to add those steeped grains to the boil?

As far as I understand, this is the way one would normally brew an extract batch.

Culbetron said:
So your plan is to brew 2 batches: The first just an oatmeal stout, and the second chocolate and coffee malt steeped in hot water? Then you want to add those steeped grains to the boil?

As far as I understand, this is the way one would normally brew an extract batch.

I was having a little trouble following this as well. I think the only thing that's different is adding the grain tea at the end. Boiling 10 minutes will sanitise if just fine, and since it won't have much in the way if sugar, it will just add flavour and colour, which is what one wants from those grains generally.

Maybe it was a dumb idea....after reading it back, it doesn't sound as good as it did in my head

People frequently steep the dark grains separately when all they want is color and no roast flavor (eg a CDA). You can also simply throw them in at the end of the mash.

Last time I made a stout, I made a "tea" of the dark grains first, but in room temp water for 2 days in a stoppered better bottle. This brought out the roasty flavors but not the astrigency.

I put dark grains into the mash at mash out. I heard or read Gordon Strong comparing the dark grains to coffee. Coffee gets bitter with extended exposure to heat. After I incorporated the technique, my stouts got smoother faster. YMMV.

Back