Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing with kids?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
jajabee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing with kids?

Okay, so forgive me, I know pretty much nothing about children. We're planning on having a couple of our own in the next year or so, and I'm just curious about how you guys combine this hobby with raising kids. How do they deal with the fact that they aren't allowed to drink the result of all this work until they're (much) older? Or do you just let them try it? Or do they just not care? I really like the idea of chillin' with the kiddos out on the front deck while I brew, but I don't want to have CPS come knocking on our door when the kids bring their homebrewing experiences to "show and tell".

Just curious!

Carboys: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Caramel Cream Ale, Edwort's Hefeweizen, Rhubarb Wheat, Hoppy Belgian Sour, Pumpkin Ale (infected, RIP), Caramel Cream #2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I'm far from having kids, so I can't tell you from experience. I know a lot of guys on here brew with their kids though. At a young age, its probably not any different than cooking to them. Its always been my thought that if they grow up it, they are much less likely to abuse it, and much more likely to appreciate it (alcohol/beer) for its finer values, like we all do here.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4733 Times on 4373 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old.

Through years 1 and 2 brewing was a snap. Now, the 3 year old is in the middle of everything I do and I cannot brew with him around either because he is not co-ordinated enough to be trusted around the heated rig or because he is always getting into things he shouldn;t and requires constant supervision.

So, I tried only brewing at night after he goes to sleep. Brutal! Especially the next morning when he demands my attentions regardless of how interactive mommah is with him. Yes, he's a daddy's boy cause I do all the kewl stuff with fire, tools, etc...

Lately, I have just resigned myself to taking days off work to brew on. And it's good.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Give me a few months and I can let you know first hand. He's only 8wks right now, so he's just kinda hangin' out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My boys love playing with my equipment- a little too much actually- but I've never let them help me when I'm actually brewing. They've never even asked to taste the end result but I'm sure that will happen soon enough. When they do, I will simply fill their sippy cups with Barleywine and they are bound to pass out and get so sick from the hangover they will never ask for it again. No, not really... when they do, I will begin having the conversation with them to grow respect for alcohol and explain it can be harmful if abused or used in the wrong ways... especially in growing boys.

That is something my parents never did with me... I was simply told it was immoral, illegal, etc and to NEVER do it. Well, of course that didn't work- and I had to figure a lot of this stuff out the hard way...

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You should never put your children in boiling water and add hops. It will make them scream. (oh come on, you knew it was coming)

I haven't let any of my kids brew with me yet, but if my oldest (9) wanted to, I would let her.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a 4.5 year old girl, and she enjoys watching me. When I am on my computer, I can blow across an empty bottle and she will perk up and say "Daddy needs another beer" and dash off to the fridge.

She doesn't get to do a whole lot to help with the brewing process, but she can do some things for me. I let her pitch the yeast last time, and she now loves running to my brew closet and seeing the airlocks bubble.

Last summer, she was playing with her bubble bucket and a coffee cup on the patio, and started stacking them, Mommy asked "What are you doing?" her excitedly replied "Brewing my beer!"

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Hypothetically, would I get in trouble for saying I have let my 9 year old taste the hydro samples? If, in fact, I did that?

However my kids are pretty much bored by the brew process. "Daddies obsession". They do like to go play in the alley behind the house though while I have the garage door open.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4733 Times on 4373 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Oh. And my son refers to my beer as coffee (even the pilsners). Of course, I don't correct him so he can chat up anyone he wants about all the coffee I make at home and the varieties he's tasted. He prefers the really hoppy coffee's ironically.

It's the "pots" that I grow in the backyard that have me worried. Try as I might to get the "h" back in there and the "p" moved it always gets lost.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
Hypothetically, would I get in trouble for saying I have let my 9 year old taste the hydro samples? If, in fact, I did that?

However my kids are pretty much bored by the brew process. "Daddies obsession". They do like to go play in the alley behind the house though while I have the garage door open.
"OH NOES!! THINK OF THE CHILRENS!"
Yeah, getting in trouble for something like that would be pretty stupid. My dad would let us have a sip of his beer every now and then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Quick Reply