brewing confession

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aha it was.I don't understand.In Canada this is not such a terrible word.At least now I know how to spell it to get it out there.Sorry OP for getting off topic.I'm heading back to edit may baby name thread!

Oh yea, one other thing. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Malty is actually a conspiracy founded by Breis and White labs to upsell malt extract and pitchable tubes. The owner of my LHBS uses exactly 1 expired smack pack of yeast per 5 gallon batch and wins lots of awards. I myself wash yeast, which means I underpitch the first batch with a new smackpack and grossly overpitch subsequent batches. The beer tastes identical. Pitching rates are overrated.

Well put. I began making starters mostly because I often use well-expired smack packs. I looked up the Mr. Malty calculator and it said something like 2 gallons of starter with "intermittent shaking". Get real Admiral Malty... 2 gallons? 2 GALLONS!? I really wanna punch this Mr. Malty in the tooth... I've grossly underpitched according to this ass-clown and made damn fine beer. I've also made starters and made worse beer than that which was underpitched. There are so many variables in 95% of homebrewers methods that noobs really shouldn't be stressing over not being able to make a starter and veterans shouldn't be making them think that their beer will suck for pitching an old smack pack. If I read "One of the most important factors in making great beer is pitching an appropriate amount of healthy/viable yeast" one more time I'm gonna absolutely lose it...

What was this thread about??? :p

I guess that sometimes I dont make starters... although I've been guilted into it recently by HBT :mug:
I just use tap water as well. Water chem is something I hope to get to someday, but I'm very happy with my beer regardless. :rockin:
I pitch dry yeast dry
I fear the foam
I have used bleach to sanitize
I have used soap to clean
I have siphoned with my mouth out of frustration when my auto siphon clogs and I just want to get the damn beer in the carboy and add yeast!
I forget irish moss on 3/4 of my beers
I forget to boil my immersion chiller to sanitize it during 3/4 of my beers
I mash in my boil kettle, even though I bought a cooler 6months ago just to convert to an mlt
I have dipped my hand into cooled wort on multiple occasions due to dropping something
I like this thread... :rockin:

I don't boil at all. I just take all the ingredients, dunk them in sanitizer, then throw them in the fermenter with some yeast.

The beer is amazing. Trust me.

Back