Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle conditioning in 80 degree temps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
Haterade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottle conditioning in 80 degree temps?

Well, the wife got me a fridge for my burfday so now I can ferment my ales at wonderfully consistent temps. Downside is that all my stuff is going into the garage along with it. I have ownership of a couple of the kitchen cabinets so I can keep my brews at a good room temp for about a week. After that, they get rotated into the garage which is going from 65 - 85 right now. The fridge is full of fermenting beer.

Is this going to have a horrible effect? I guess I'll find out in a week but I've got a nice IPA coming through the pipeline I'm almost afraid to risk. Of course, during the winter, these temps could fluctuate from probably 45 - 65 here in GA.

Is this going to kill my brews with these wild (and high/low) temp fluctuations? Right now I drink most of mine about 1.5 months after brewing...

You guys are awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have kept my bottledf beer in a stable 80 degree area. Havent tasted anything bad but then again I havent had a test thats been in 70 so idk.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it gives off flavors. thats what the last two batches of mine have succumb to. so sad. made a hoegaarden clone and it smells like armpit.

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I bottle condition in my den, the thermostat is set at 79 and I have had no problems. My primary and secondary are in a temp controlled freezer, after a month in there, they get bottled and go to the den.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have some double oatmeal stouts sitting in my basement which is usually around 70-80 in the summer (I so wish it was colder) but I tried one after 6 months and it still tasted awesome, it's so hard to leave the other 5 in the reserves!!!

Quick Reply