Beers that get you sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdWort said:
Shiner Bock gives me a headache after two beers.
+1!!!

During my first visit to Texas (that lasted a couple of years), my barely 21 year old palate thoroughly enjoyed Shiner Bock. We often had it by the 1/2 barrel. The hangover was always painful. To this day, Shiner Bock makes me feel a little ill, even in small doses.

BMC doesn't bother me, except in its attempts to destroy the little guy. I drink it, sometimes in large quantities, usually because my friends have provided. I think of it more like soda pop that might give me a buzz rather than beer. If I get the chance to be present for a BMC purchase, I try to sway my bros to buy the aluminum bottles so I can reuse them. I have mostly given up on swaying them to drink better beer.

Interesting - only one mention of Rolling Rock so far, and none of the one that always used to give me a case of the Hershey Squirts: Moosehead. Way back in the day, the Moose won all sorts of taste tests (this was the 80s, and what was it competing against after all?). But it hit me worse than the Rock.

Oddly, I've had Sam's Cranberry Lambic and I thought it was a decent example of the class, though the cranberry flavor was a little odd. It never messed with my system - maybe if it had, I would have felt differently about the taste. I think you have to have a pretty solid constitution to have more than one or two lambics anyway.

the first beer i ever tried: rolling rock. I thought it tasted like death then, and my opinion of it has not changed. it's a wonder that i every drank another beer. even the smell of it makes me nauseous. i've only had about sixteen ounces of that devil piss in my entire life, and i regret every ounce.

and almost any bmc gives me a headache if i drink 2-3, any less or more and i'm fine.

molson canadian and smirnoff...i can have just about ne other beer with smirnoff or ne other vodka with canadian but that particular pair gives me the taco s**ts

For me its Dale's Pale Ale. I love the stuff, get it on draught at the local watering hole for happy hour - $2 for a 20 oz. Gives me a big head every time tho.

The first two that come to mind is "Hangover in a Bottle" which is better known as DF Fort.

And LeCoq gives me heartburn but it is TOTALLY worth it!!!

I occasionally get a headache from drinking too many beers, but I cant really say any particular beer makes me SICK. If I drink more than 2 Sweetwater 420's, I will have a headache the next day along with Budweiser and Boddingtons pub Ale.

I think it's more related to Free Amino nitrogen (FAN) produced fusel alcohols than anything else.

Miller lite will give me a headache after a couple. I'm kind of embarrassed saying I've ever drank Miller anything but its what my bro drinks.

Also Lienekugels Sunset Wheat kills my stomach after too many. I used to drink the hell out of that crap but now I cant handle it. Waaay to sweet for my tastes anymore. I wonder what changed to cause this turnabout

I am invincible

if you don't count the normal hangover stuff from tooo many beers, but they all do that to me, not special beers make me sick, unless its the taste, but i've rarely met a beer that I didnt like.

Michelob Amber Bock gives me some realllly smelly burps. Embarrassingly smelly burps...

I've never had trouble with any beer except chili beer. I don't mind one when the mood strikes, but any more than one gets my insides a-rumblin'.

Icehouse. Back in my college days this bar ran a special one night for 2 dollar icehouse pitchers. Me and a buddy drank I don't know how many of them. That was the last time I have ever had icehouse.

Rolling Rock gives me heart burn each and every time I drink it. Also, Newcastle Brown has made me puke twice from drinking a single beer, just something about it that doesn't agree with me.

I remember buying a variety pack of Unibroue with all their beers in it. I tried one of each and had the worst hangover of my entire life.

Gennesee or Genny Cream Ale always gave me headaches after about a half a glass. Have not had either in over 10 years.

No beer makes me sick at them time or gives me to much stomache issues. However. If I drink too many big micros or homebrews the next day my head will pay.

I almost started a similar thread about this a few days ago.. I can drink most any beer (BMC included) and handle it just fine, but *ANYTHING* from New Belgium makes me nearly incapacitated the following day.

The distributor is a good friend of mine and he will bring different beers of theirs over to try regularly. At first it was Fat Tire.. three beers and I had the worst hangover I've ever had in my life. So I tried it again and the same thing happened. Then I tried it once more with no other alcohol just to make sure.. same thing. Then I tried '2 Below'.. same thing. Then I finally learned my lesson with Ranger.. wasn't getting any of the warning signs so I drank several and nearly didn't survive the night.

I've thought long and hard about wth is going on.. Could it be I'm alergic to something they add to their beers? Could it be they ferment at higher temps, then pasteurize? Hell, I don't know (and I really want to know).. but I won't ever drink anything from them again. :-/

Don't hate on the Mickey's

You can't drink malt licka and expect it to be kind to you.

Budweiser.

I've had all sorts of horrible beers, but surprisingly, the only one that will make me sick is Bud. One time, I even bought "born today Bud" that had little LED lights on the 6pack, that according to the advertisement would go out after 24 hours, so it proved the beer was freshest.

Needless to say, after one and a half, I became nauseated. I don't even remember the taste, but it left me reeling. Years later, on two other separate occasions, I suffered the same symptoms after trying Bud again.

Miller Lite got me sick one St. Patty's Day. I had about 10 of them through out the day and I had a skull splitting headache and a hungover feeling while still being drunk. I took a nap to shake it off and ended up feeling worse afterward and then felt pretty bad the next 2 days.

Any AH Busch product, any domestic "lite". Not that they make me physically ill but they have little to no flavor, unless yellow bubbly watered down beer is a flavor, and I do not like the taste (or lack of) of them...

I think I got a bad batch (at least I hope that is the excuse) of New Glarus "Dancing man wheat" that tasted like it was strained through a mountain of HOT, rotting garbage. Never again will I have one of those...

Point Belgian White, The 1st one was nice but about 3/4 of the way through My taste buds shifted violently and I realized the "flavor" I was tasting was coriander not hops, I could feel the spiciness of the coriander seeping into me, making me queezy....I tried one a day later and 1 sip made me almost vomit so I dumped it.

Most pale american lagers instantly give me the hiccups. I can't drink PBR, Old Milwuakee Light or Keystone at all without getting the hiccups. A lot of the time those hiccups lead to vomitting, whether I'm drunk or not.

Budweiser.

I've had all sorts of horrible beers, but surprisingly, the only one that will make me sick is Bud. One time, I even bought "born today Bud" that had little LED lights on the 6pack, that according to the advertisement would go out after 24 hours, so it proved the beer was freshest.

Needless to say, after one and a half, I became nauseated. I don't even remember the taste, but it left me reeling. Years later, on two other separate occasions, I suffered the same symptoms after trying Bud again.

Me too. A few Budweisers and I'm sure to be sick. Nausea and rager headache. Not sure if its the acetaldehyde or what. Oddly enough, I can (and occasionally do) drink Bud Light all night. Just can't drink Bud.

Me too. A few Budweisers and I'm sure to be sick. Nausea and rager headache. Not sure if its the acetaldehyde or what. Oddly enough, I can (and occasionally do) drink Bud Light all night. Just can't drink Bud.

My buddy has the same reaction as well. I haven't had a Budweiser in years so I don't know if it will effect me. There has to be something in it.

Artificial flavoring? Oh wait...there is no flavor...

Maybe it's overwhelming guilt that you are supporting those ******** when people are working so hard making GOOD beer.

:D

I've never had problems with a beer making me sick except for one.

I cannot stand the smell of Bud. I can drink it just fine, but I can't smell it. I've mentioned this before - to me, Bud smells like urine. I may be making that connection as I've been in too many dank stairwells where people who have gotten sloppy drunk off Bud have relieved themselves, I don't know. But that's how it smells to me.

The smell makes me sick, but I'm fine with the taste. It's a very strange thing.

Schlitz Red Bull - Used to drink it in college. $10.79 a case for 16 oz cans..... Didn't taste THAT bad... till the next morning (or whenever regained consciousness). Even experienced 40 oz'ers and had a 1/2 keg ordered for one party. 3 of us kicked a 1/4 keg by ourselves in one 20 hour period with a controlled buzz drinking rate...... yech!

Actually one other I can't stand now is the Smell/Taste of Heineken in the US..... But was shocked....Heineken in the Netherlands on tap was completely different.

Had a buddy who used to work for Coors tell me that all of the mass produced lagers Bud/Coors/Miller have tons of preservatives and "natural flavors" added so they will stay on the shelf longer and "taste better". He said if people knew what went into them, they probably wouldn't be able to sell them. Too bad alcohol & beer companies aren't required to list ingredients on their bottles. Sure, most would say: "Yeast, wheat, barley, hops", but others.. they scare me.

Actually one other I can't stand now is the Smell/Taste of Heineken in the US..... But was shocked....Heineken in the Netherlands on tap was completely different.

isn't the U.S. heineken brewed in new jersey or canada now?

Latest posts

Back