Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Vacation in Milwaukee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #21
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Also check this out http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=milwaukee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #22
chibrew
Recipes 

Willing to take orders? There is a bunch of stuff I would like [/QUOTE]

I might be able to pick up some extra on the way back, what are you looking for?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Skip New Glarus - too far - go to Lake Mills and Tyranena better beer! Or Madison to Ale Asylum if you are on a road trip but this is off topic.

Where do you get New Glarus OUT of Wisconsin - it is only distribute inside Wisconsin by law.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #24
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Where do you get New Glarus OUT of Wisconsin - it is only distribute inside Wisconsin by law.
What law is that???

Dan said he stopped distribution to Illinois because he couldn't keep up with demand and still create a quality product....

Old 10-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #25
switched
Recipes 

I went to Miller and Lakefront last year.... Miller was alright, a little drawn out, but pretty in depth and you get a few brews and some pretzels haha. Lakefront was a damn good tour. You get tokens for free beers, a pint glass, and we ended up getting a few beers on the house throughout. I think I was drunk at the end, haha.

This year I went to Lakefront again, and it was pretty rushed and I was kinda disappointed... Might have just been a hectic day though.

I agree with olllllo, I would definitelly take a trip to Kopps. Awesome food.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #26
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Dan said he stopped distribution to Illinois because he couldn't keep up with demand and still create a quality product....
I was my understanding that yes - they stopped because they could not keep u[ with production - HOWEVER - because of stupid distributing laws they can save money with a different type of licensing.

In WI you can not buy beer CHEAPER at a brewery as opposed to a liqueur store.

There is also a low in the pipeline where a bartender can have 0.0% Alcohol in his system to they can shut you down. Meaning a brewpub bartender can not have one sip of beer before or during his shift. YET, we advertise the Dept of Tourism sponsors brewpub tours and only tax $2 per barrel.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #27
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibrew View Post

I might be able to pick up some extra on the way back, what are you looking for?
I missed this

how was it?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #28
chibrew
Recipes 

Review:

Definitely a worthwhile beer vacation. I have to say that I was very disappointed in the Sprecher tour, they make good beer but the tour was lacking. I felt like the tour guide was bored the whole time and then they give you coupons for four pours but less than a half hour to drink them. Trust me, I'm a big beer fan, but I basically had to chug if I wanted to get through them all.
Lakefront on the other hand was great! I did this tour last year and had just as much fun this time around. The tour guide was cracking dirty jokes the whole time and more importantly, you can actually drink during the tour...more importantly still, they actually have a pitstop halfway through so you can get a fresh beer.

Yup, I had a good sized headache the next morning, so it was an altogether successful trip.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #29
chibrew
Recipes 

Also,
if anyone lives in Milwaukee, you might be interested to know that Fat Abbey Biercafe is closing its doors this weekend. I really liked this bar, they've got a pretty respectable beer selection and they play good music, so its a little sad to see it go. You might want to hit it up one last time this weekend before its gone.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #30
Lordsoth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Someone (cellardoor IIRC) was telling me they had stuff there you cnat get anywhere else
That would be their R&D releases. Which, at present, is a beer called "Golden Ale" a Belgian Pale Ale, and it is AWESOME! Very Orval-esque. In fact I dare say it may be the best representation of the style by an American brewer (least wise of those that I have tried). But I am biased, heh.

Quick Reply