Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer made my mouth and throat numb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Default Beer made my mouth and throat numb

I found 3 topics about this and already read through them all trying to figure this out. Since it's the same thing I brew all the time, just a basic pale ale, extract, mini mash. I have deduced that it's because I put the fermentor(glass carboy), up on the top shelf of the metal shelving unit in my craft room, covered with a dark colored, low thread count sheet(same as I cover all of them). I moved it because I needed the floor space more than I needed that shelf space. The room is climate controlled for the temps I need for the ones on the floor. After I had already moved it to the floor, I thought I should have taken it's temperature on the shelf first, too late now, been all day on the floor now. But it had to be warmer up high than on the floor.

After reading through these topics, I have deduced that the higher fermenting temp, from being on a top shelf, instead of the floor in the darkest corner of the room, it produced phenols, the cause of the numbing sensation. Do you think I am correct? Now I just leave it on the floor for another week or 2 and taste it again before bottling or kegging? Right?

These are the topics here about it, all at least 2 years old:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer...h-numb-166500/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer...l-numb-161653/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/weir...trying-288479/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am no help as I have never heard of such a phenomenon. As I think about it, I don't even know why I posted a comment. LOL

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson
Dynachrome Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It's numbing from a hydrometer sample? Or a full pint? I guess I don't exactly follow what's going on.

Bottled: empty
Kegged: empty

Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

I ended up drinking about 1/2 pint, but the numbing started right after the first couple sips, went away after about 30 minutes so then I tasted it again, a couple sips, mouth is numb and feels a little funny to swallow. After 1/2 pint, my lips feeling a little numb too.

Added: I didn't do any OG readings because it's my normal brew, I just go by taste and appearance.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
I ended up drinking about 1/2 pint, but the numbing started right after the first couple sips, went away after about 30 minutes so then I tasted it again, a couple sips, mouth is numb and feels a little funny to swallow. After 1/2 pint, my lips feeling a little numb too.

Added: I didn't do any OG readings because it's my normal brew, I just go by taste and appearance.
that sounds like an allergic reaction. Have you got anyone else to try it? That way you will know if it is the beer... or you

Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

It's the same thing I brew all the time!! I have already ruled out an allergic reaction. The many others from the same exact kit do not make my mouth numb. I doubt I could get hubby to try it and he's the only one here. He's on chemo anyway and can't have any alcohol.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
I found 3 topics about this and already read through them all trying to figure this out. Since it's the same thing I brew all the time, just a basic pale ale, extract, mini mash. I have deduced that it's because I put the fermentor(glass carboy), up on the top shelf of the metal shelving unit in my craft room, covered with a dark colored, low thread count sheet(same as I cover all of them). I moved it because I needed the floor space more than I needed that shelf space. The room is climate controlled for the temps I need for the ones on the floor. After I had already moved it to the floor, I thought I should have taken it's temperature on the shelf first, too late now, been all day on the floor now. But it had to be warmer up high than on the floor.

After reading through these topics, I have deduced that the higher fermenting temp, from being on a top shelf, instead of the floor in the darkest corner of the room, it produced phenols, the cause of the numbing sensation. Do you think I am correct? Now I just leave it on the floor for another week or 2 and taste it again before bottling or kegging? Right?

These are the topics here about it, all at least 2 years old:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer...h-numb-166500/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beer...l-numb-161653/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/weir...trying-288479/
When you have narrowed it down to exactly what the cause is, please post the recipe that caused these symptoms as I will need to use this brew on SWMBO.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
keyman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same thing happened to me with Penicillin. Used it for many years then one time I took it for an infected tooth I got hives and bad allergic reaction. Now I am allergic to Penicillin. Maybe this is what happened with your brew. Best solution, have someone else try it and see if it affects them.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

id be surprised if the temp was too much warmer on the upper shelf if the whole room is temp controlled

how does it taste? i'd imagine if it was phenol related you'd easily taste it

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfamilydsm View Post
When you have narrowed it down to exactly what the cause is, please post the recipe that caused these symptoms as I will need to use this brew on SWMBO.
LOL, sure, and maybe I can put a carboy of water on that shelf and be able to tell you the exact fermenting temperature to used!! I have brewed at least 8 of these kits and they always turn out great. That's why I figured it had to be something to do with higher fermenting temp, on the shelf as opposed to on the floor in a dark corner, but I had it covered with a dark sheet, thought it would be okay.

Quick Reply