Beer becoming over carbonated - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with some of my beers lately. After some time, they become over carbonated in the bottle, and produce some off flavors. Nothing bad where I can't drink it, but not nearly as good as what it was when I first tried it. My beers are overall very good, and I've won an award with one of them, so I feel like I know what I'm doing, but something recently has gone wrong.

Let me give you some background on how I brew and I'd like to get some thoughts on what may be going wrong.

I do BIAB and brew 3 gallon batches on my stove. I leave the beer in the primary for 3 weeks in a plastic bucket. After that, I will either transfer to secondary if the beer style needs it (for aging, adding hops or other flavors, or if I need a fruit beer to settle out). If it doesn't go to a secondary, I transfer to a keg to carbonate in a refrigerator. If I end up brewing another batch and need the keg, I will transfer the beer to bottles (without adding anything to the bottle for carbonation) and then store at basement temperature (around 68 degrees). The beer in the keg always tastes fine, but after I transfer to a bottle, and it sits in there for a few months, some of my beers will become over-carbonated and get some off flavors.

I use Starsan as my sanitizing agent and don't rinse. For yeast, I typically try to reuse my yeast and unless the beer has a high OG (1.080 or above), I don't do a starter, thinking that I only have 3 gallon batches. I will occasionally buy a yeast liquid pack and use that as well.

Any thoughts on why my beers are becoming too carbonated?

Thanks
Todd

The beer in the keg always tastes fine, but after I transfer to a bottle, and it sits in there for a few months, some of my beers will become over-carbonated and get some off flavors.

it depends on the beer but months in the bottle is not the best thing. any little bug that gets in during bottling has months to do it's thing.

Could be any of your plastic an/or beer lines. Might be time for a bleachbomb or new plastic.

Maybe you aren't properly mixing the priming solution with the beer before bottling.. I had that problem a couple times and it made some of the bottles way overcarbed. I also got off flavors, but I think it was because I accidentally oxidized the crap outta the whole batch when I was racking to my bottling bucket.

Could be any of your plastic an/or beer lines. Might be time for a bleachbomb or new plastic.

Are there any recommendations on how to do this (mix ratio, length of time, etc)? I can invest in a new primary bucket, but I'd like to reuse my lines and racking cane if I can.

Back