Anyone ever brew w/o hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on what your malts would be.........................

No it would still be way sweet. It might be worth an experiment. I have seen hopped ciders so why not a beer hopped with perhaps, Granny Smith Apples? I have a buddy who hops a certain beer of his with a peculiar green leafy substance leftover from his.................................... horticultural studies.

As far as straight malt with no hops, I'm sure someone has done this before. Would I be interested in no bittering/counter to the sweetness? No. But thats me. Anything is worth a try.

Depending on what your malts would be.........................

No it would still be way sweet. It might be worth an experiment. I have seen hopped ciders so why not a beer hopped with perhaps, Granny Smith Apples? I have a buddy who hops a certain beer of his with a peculiar green leafy substance leftover from his.................................... horticultural studies.

As far as straight malt with no hops, I'm sure someone has done this before. Would I be interested in no bittering/counter to the sweetness? No. But thats me. Anything is worth a try.

Don't get me wrong. I like hops and hop bitterness. I also have a sweet tooth. I like root beer and ginger beer, both of which are very sweet. Maybe I'll separate like half a gallon of wort and boil it w/o hops just to try it out.

If you use something like 2 row only and yeast and mash low it will probably just taste like a light ale , depending how you mash your OG what you use. It will only be as sweet as it finishes really. Depending on the malt and Final gravity and even yeast.

A Russian Kvass is a brew made from fermented bread with no hops. There are other types of beer with no hops. And before hops were found to provide bitterness, aroma, and preservation, spices were used instead to offset the sweetness of the malt. Maybe would be an interesting history lesson to revisit such brews...

I have never brewed with out hops but I found an old keg (8 months) of lawnmower beer that was originally 12 ish IBU's

By the time I put it on tap it had lost it's bitterness. It tasted good but like it was missing something on the back end. Of course this wasn't a beer that had a big malt backbone.

The only beer i made without hops was a Gruit type ale with dried yarrrow, i thought i followed procedure as far as how much yarrow to use but it turned out exactly like lemon without sugar. I also bottle conditioned hitting peeks of 80 degrees so whether that is what happend i dont know, its very tart lemon but its actually light and quenching really. I never tossed them but just consider them a special ale to have once in a while, but really they are not bad for summer. Really i dont know if i used too much dried yarrow either, i though i used minimal.

Back