New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Two beers, once mash, how to do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
imaguitargod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Two beers, once mash, how to do it?

Ok, sorry if this has been answered already but I searched and couldn’t find it. I’ve heard from some brewers I’ve met that when they brew a big beer (ie: barleywine) that they do two batches. The first is their big beer then they resparge and get a second, low gravity beer. How exactly is this done?

After sparing for the first time, do you just let the grains sit there while you boil and cool, then do you sparge again? Do you remash somehow?

I’m getting ready to formulate a barleywine and would love to try this out.

EDIT: Sorry, title should read, "Two beers, one mash, how to do it?". Remember folks, always proof read.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

the term you are looking for is partigyle style and is exactly like you explain.

you take the rich runnings from your first sparge for a high gravity beer and sparge again to get a smaller beer.

I just did this last weekend with a imperial porter and session porter in one mash.

I am also going to do something similar in a month where I mash enough wort to do 2 normal sized beers, one will be a 1.060 IPA and the other will be a 1.052 APA that will be diluted with some of the final runnings then boil separately with different hop schedules.

On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is called Party Gyle brewing and very common even in big brewerys. The idea is to make a very large beer first with only the first runnings..so say a Barley Wine as you discuss Mash with enough grain to produce your high gravity wort 1.08..or whatever. Than Sparge or rinse those grains until your get enough sparge wort to produce a second lower gravity beer. The grain bill must be larger than normal for a barley wine since you are not rinsing the grains of sugars for the first but rather the second batch. A Barley wine and Pale Ale works well becasue the grain bills are close just smaller and you brew as normal with whatever hops you plan. You are not mashing again but rather sparging the sugars off the large grain bill..I would do two or 3 batch sparges until you reach you pre boil volume you desire. Some I have read have actually done this for three beers..have not even though about attempting this.

edit..too slow or said too much..lol

Jay

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 11-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
the term you are looking for is partigyle style and is exactly like you explain.
AH-HA! I knew there was some sort of key word that I was missing for an effective search!
Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfin View Post
edit..too slow or said too much..lol

Jay
It's so-k. You provided some extra info and that's always appreciated.

"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just to avoid confusion:

For the first runnings, it's my understanding that the bill is generally NOT sparged (rinsed), only lautered (strained). Sparging, I think, usually starts with the second runnings. Am I mistaken?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If your MLT is large enough and can accomodate the full preboil volume, you can partigyle two full 5 gallon batches out of a single mash. You're really doing a 'no sparge' procedure with the first runnings.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

My thread might be of some help to you. It's sort of a real time "idiot's guide" to constructing a partigyle recipe...You can see how I go from having no clue of how to figure out a recipe to figuring out how to "trick" beersmith into doing it for me. You can see all the help I got on the thread, and there's some links to other info that help you do it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I hope it helps. Like I said, I went from having no clue to actually doing one.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
My thread might be of some help to you. It's sort of a real time "idiot's guide" to constructing a partigyle recipe...You can see how I go from having no clue of how to figure out a recipe to figuring out how to "trick" beersmith into doing it for me. You can see all the help I got on the thread, and there's some links to other info that help you do it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/lets-partyyyy-gyle-pumpkin-porter-ale-one-mash-74927/

I hope it helps. Like I said, I went from having no clue to actually doing one.
Wow, Revvy, thanks! Loads of reading, should keep me busy for an hour.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguitargod View Post
Wow, Revvy, thanks! Loads of reading, should keep me busy for an hour.
Hope it helps. I still remember the feeling I got from totally lost to a lightbulb going off in the course of several postings.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Hope it helps. I still remember the feeling I got from totally lost to a lightbulb going off in the course of several postings.
I'm about half way through and I'm getting the head spinning "too much input" feeling right now. Must take a break....

Quick Reply