Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Transferring from 13 gallon glass carboy - march pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
jamest22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Transferring from 13 gallon glass carboy - march pump?

I currently have 11 gallons of Oktoberfest fermenting in a 13.5 gallon glass carboy. The carboy is in my fermentation fridge about 1 foot off the ground. I am trying to plan the best way to transfer to cornies post-fermentation. I have fermented ten gallons in this beast before and lifted the full carboy out of the fridge and onto a countertop to transfer via gravity. That was insane, I realize now that I was practically taking my life in my hands doing that and I don't plan to go that route again. I am looking into ways to transfer the beer out without moving the fermenter from the fridge.

So my options seem to be:

1) rig up a carboy cap and racking cane to transfer via CO2 pressure like I do with better bottles. I believe this is a bad idea as I should not be pumping pressure into a glass container.

2) March pump. Sanitize my march pump and hoses by pumping boiling water for 10 minutes, then pump the beer from fermenter to cornies. I have never used the pump on finished beer. Is there any oxidation or contamination risk?

Which of these methods sounds best? Any other solutions I'm overlooking?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

As i've read around I see that many people aren't recommending transferring finished beer using a March pump. Looks like CO2 push is the way to go. I guess I just have to watch the pressure really closely right? Or, perhaps the carboy cap would fly off before the carboy exploded.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would transfer via CO2 pressure. I have done this when fermenting in a Sanke and have found that the gauge hardly registers any pressure at all and the beer moves just fine.
Using the pump is a bad idea in my opinion because of the frothing it will create.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
shelly_belly
Got My Mojo Workin'
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I push with CO2 from a 6.5 gal glass carboy. I use the orange cap as it doesn't fit as tightly as the purple-ish colored one. It leaks the excess CO2. When I get too aggressive, the cap does pop off.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
samc
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

You can pump with 2 psi of CO2, however sometimes looking at glass cross-eyed will cause it to break.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
You can pump with 2 psi of CO2, however sometimes looking at glass cross-eyed will cause it to break.
I never look cross-eyed at my carboy for this very reason

I do however transfer with co2. I only have a 6 gallon carboy, so I am able to lift it, but use co2 to start the siphon. I use a rubber stopper with 2 holes in it, one for the racking cane, the other for a barbed fitting for co2. I just hold the barbed fitting until the beer starts flowing, then pull it out and stop the pressure. As other have said, takes maybe 2 psi to start the flow.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I'd transfer with CO2 - It takes very little pressure. Close your regulator completely, and dial it up till the beer starts moving.

I highly recommend fermenting in a sanke if you need more than 5 gallons of room. A carboy cap fits a sanke pretty good, or you can buy the fermenter cap (It's freakin sweet ) and transfer under pressure with no issue.

Glass is ebil and I'll have nothing to do with it. It's just not worth the risk of losing my best friend!

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

10-4 on the Sanke fermenter. I actually have a Sanke I'm planning on using for just that purpose. I just haven't tried it yet as seeing 11 gallons ferment through the glass is just too damn cool.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #9
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Also I must admit that despite a two day PBW soak and rinse, i'm still worried about putting my wort into the great dark unseeable unknown that lies within that Sanke.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest22 View Post
Also I must admit that despite a two day PBW soak and rinse, i'm still worried about putting my wort into the great dark unseeable unknown that lies within that Sanke.
I thought the same thing - One of my kegs was full of 6 year old Bud Light!
The aroma was indescribable

I filled it with about 13 gallons of water, a cup or 2 of OxyClean, and set it on the Bayou Classic till it hit 200 degrees, and scrubbed the inside with a carboy brush.
Problem solved
Now I use the carboy/corny cleaner ah-la sump pump to clean most everything in my rig.

They aren't that hard to clean, really. Although I'm considering figuring out how to hook a CIP ball to my pressure washer

Quick Reply