Too long of a dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_mcdermit

Reaction score
Hello,

I have searched the boards and found a general answer, although many of the answers were old, I am facing a new dilemma.
I have finally planned to make the plunge and buy a kegging system.
The problem: I currently have a Black IPA in the secondary with dry hops pitched last night (10.1.11). I'm estimating that if I order my kegging system today, it will be here at the latest, the end of next week.
Is this too long to leave my dry hops in the secondary?

Good work on the Kegging system! As for the hops, in general I tend not to sry hop for more than 3-5 days. Much longer can produce u wanted grassy/vegetal flavors. You want the hops to release their loveliness while they are young and fresh. On the other hand, some people claim duration has nothing rondo with the taste. In my experience a couple I days is prime!
If push comes to shove and you don't have your kegs in time, you can always transfer the beer into another fermenter. Kind of a tertiary fermentation. You may try cold crashing the beer by putting it in a fridge to let the hop sediments fall to the bottom and siphon the beer into another fermenter. That's my best suggestion.

I will usually go 5-10 days DH at room temperature, then cold crash for several days. Once you get them cold, they don't do off flavors. I routinely DH in the serving keg @ 45F and have left them in for months without any problems.

I've dry hopped for 10 days before with no issues. The aroma came out better than could have been imagined. If I remember correctly, 4 of the 10 days it was being crash cooled.

I disagree with this long dry hop grassy business. I dry hop the day I keg and add priming sugar and let it be till the keg kicks. Never an issue.

Anything I want to dry hop gets at least 10 days. I don't go any longer than 14 days. My IPA gets 32 grams for 7 days and an addition of 32 grams for another 14 days and I've never had any grass flavors.

I disagree with this long dry hop grassy business. I dry hop the day I keg and add priming sugar and let it be till the keg kicks. Never an issue.

I agree. It's something that people just repeat again and again. Dry hopped for over 2 weeks and never grassy.

+2, Although it seems that temp has something to do with it. Dryhopping at kegging temps(40-42f) I've NEVER experienced grassiness after a month.
I would never dryhop in a secondary that long.

_

+2, Although it seems that temp has something to do with it. Dryhopping at kegging temps(40-42f) I've NEVER experienced grassiness after a month.
I would never dryhop in a secondary that long.

_
+1 on the +2 with the added caveats. Storing at fridge temp. vs fermenter temp will make a big difference. I have dry hopped too long. 2 weeks at room temp. Not pleasant. There are phenolics in hops that contribute to the percieved bitterness. This was my house IPA, a beer I know well, and it was way too bitter. The phenolics levels vary from hop to hop, so this is not an issue with some hops, but is for others. I think I've seen some phenolics levels data somewhere but can't remember where

The phenolics levels vary from hop to hop, so this is not an issue with some hops, but is for others. I think I've seen some phenolics levels data somewhere but can't remember where

I am very interested in this.

Back