Split batch, both halves off trub. Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anchorage42

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Brewed an oatmeal stout and let it sit in primary for about 3 months. I split the batch into two (originally 5 gallons) and siphoned them into separate buckets to add 1) Bourbon-Soaked Madagascar Vanilla Beans & Bourbon and 2) Freshly roasted cofffee, to come away with two separate beers.

Both of the batches are in new buckets and neither are sitting on the trub anymore. When it's time to bottle and carbonate, what will I need to do?

Will I need to repitch yeast?

Thanks!

There is still yeast in suspension. Boil up corn sugar, addto bottling bucket and bottle. UTFSE

You'll want to leave the vanilla one in the carboy and taste it periodically. Since you won't be bottling the vanilla bean you'll have to just bottle when it tastes strong enough for you.

The other one you could probably just bottle now. I typically add bourbon at bottling since it's easy to mix and taste for the right amount.

You'll almost never need to add more yeast before bottling. Like the previous poster said there is plenty left in suspension.

Back