Somebody help me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake75

Reaction score
So I started a wheat ale about 6 days ago, in the primary the vapor lock was going crazy for the first few days. Great. I decide to pasteurize some strawberries and add them at day 3(recommended by LHBS). Bubbling has stopped completely.
Any ideas? Temp of the bucket is 68-70. Vapor lock isn't clogged.

As Euphistic stated, it's most likely slowed. Most threads I've read on here with regards to adding fruit suggest letting fermentation finish completely before adding fruit. Even then, the fruit would be added to a secondary with the beer racked onto the fruit.

Since this is your first post, welcome! Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew (RDWHAHB)

Keep your temperature steady for a few more days and then draw a sample off for a hydrometer reading. Record the reading then draw another sample off a day or two after that. If your specific gravity doesn't change you're most likely done with fermentation. Even though fermentation may be done, quite a few people like to leave their beer in the primary for a bit longer to let the yeast clean up after themselves.

Post back with updates when you get a chance.

edit: Also, MANY people stress this on the homebrewtalk forum....just because you do not see bubbles coming from your airlock does not mean the beer is done. The only way to determine if a beer has finished fermenting is to take a hydrometer sample over the course of a few days. If your gravity is stable, the yeast have done what they can for conversion.

edit #2: I use this thief to pull samples from my glass carboys.

Everybody does it a little differently(adding fruit). I will let the primary fermentation finish before racking onto the fruit in the secondary. But you'll be fine, let it sit a week or 2 to clean up, rack to the secondary, take a taste, and if you want a stronger fruit flavor, add more.

Latest posts

Back