roasting my own brown malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pktshc

Reaction score
I am brewing an Southern English Brown this week and I have an issue. The two LHBS in my town do not carry brown malt. After some research I have determined that brown malt (like so many others) is simply pale malt that has been roasted at high temps for periods ranging from 15 minutes to 1 hour. The challenge is that I have yet to find definitive instruction on how long and at what temp to roast my pale malt.

So, I set out on my own. I figure that it was only .25 lbs anyway, so I could not screw up things too badly. And if I did, I have time over the next few days to try again while my starter continues to bubble away.

Here is what I did.

1. Oven to 400 degree (F).
2. Single layer of pale malt on a foil-lined cookie sheet
3. Roasted for 30 minutes.
4. cooled and placed in paper bag.

Is that long enough of a roast? Was the temp too high?

Many thanks- Jeff

I've roasted my own malt a few times, using a similar procedure. Before you use the grains, let them mellow for at least a week. If you use them right away, it will lend a harsh flavor to the beer. I let mine sit at room temp in a bag for about 2 weeks prior to use. I know this doesn't help you now with your starter going, but for future reference. Also, for the temp, I would roast mine at around 350 for about 1 hour to get a chocolate-like malt.

also just because it was said (and i dont want any noobs getting confused), you can only roast uncracked malts. roast before you mill :)

There are specific instructions on how to roast pale to make brown malt in Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers. See the last page of the section on Brown Ale.

He gives the the slightly complicated way (wet the grain first, roast longer) and the simple way (just toast it).

Sorry, but I don't have it here with me for the specifics (the book is well worth getting for many other reasons). Someone else may have it.

My memory is that you are in the ballpark but not exactly doing what he suggests.

I am brewing an Southern English Brown this week and I have an issue. The two LHBS in my town do not carry brown malt. After some research I have determined that brown malt (like so many others) is simply pale malt that has been roasted at high temps for periods ranging from 15 minutes to 1 hour. The challenge is that I have yet to find definitive instruction on how long and at what temp to roast my pale malt.

So, I set out on my own. I figure that it was only .25 lbs anyway, so I could not screw up things too badly. And if I did, I have time over the next few days to try again while my starter continues to bubble away.

Here is what I did.

1. Oven to 400 degree (F).
2. Single layer of pale malt on a foil-lined cookie sheet
3. Roasted for 30 minutes.
4. cooled and placed in paper bag.

Is that long enough of a roast? Was the temp too high?

Many thanks- Jeff

Taste it! does it taste like brown malt.

Oh...+1 on the "let it sit for a week"

Great, thanks to all. I have decided to keep stepping up my starter so I have time to let the malt hang out for a week. I will have to pick up the Daniel's book...sounds like a great resource.

As always, I love the help that these forums provide.

Happy Brewing. JAH

Back