Priming a Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadYetiBrew

Reaction score
So all i have done so far is my starter, but it's never too early to think about how to prime... I'm making a weizenbock, mini-mash, starting gravity should be 1.080. I went to the recipator website and use their carbonation tool.

It says that the residual CO2 you want for a Weizenbock is between 3.7 - 4.7.
I want it pretty well carbonated, not lacking but not over powering so i was thinking 4.1 - 4.2.

Now the recommended priming of beer is 5 oz (or 3/4 cups) of Dextrose. This is recommending 8.76 oz and if i wanted 4.7 (the maximum) 10.4 oz of Dextrose. Now i'm worried about bottle bombs... Is there something I am missing here? Wouldn't going up to half as much more as the recommended sugars be just asking for explosive beers, let alone TWICE as much?

Now, I primed cheesefood's Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale with some local honey that made it prime fantastically. I used 12 tbsp (6 fluid oz) of honey (cream ales are 2.7 residual CO2). It primed so much better than any of the other beers. I wanted to prime this with honey also because it primed so well last time. It wants 11.7 oz of Honey to prime with, is it just me or is that a ridiculous amount?
What would you guys recommend for honey priming a Weizenbock?

I'm looking in Beer Smith, and it says 2.9 is the max for a Weizenbock, which would be 6oz of Dextrose. In fact, the highest number I see for ANY style is only 3.2 volumes, for Lambics. I don't know where that 4.7 number comes from; it seems really high.

As someone who has used dextrose, DME, molasses, and brown sugar to prime, I say go for it on the honey. I think you'd need about 7oz or so.

Torchiest said:
I'm looking in Beer Smith, and it says 2.9 is the max for a Weizenbock, which would be 6oz of Dextrose. In fact, the highest number I see for ANY style is only 3.2 volumes, for Lambics. I don't know where that 4.7 number comes from; it seems really high.

As someone who has used dextrose, DME, molasses, and brown sugar to prime, I say go for it on the honey. I think you'd need about 7oz or so.

I knew that sounded wrong, thanks... I think 7oz would be about right...

Torchiest said:

The Recipator carbonation calculator gives 3.7-4.7 for Weizenbock and 3.6-4.5 for Weizen/Weissbier. Not sure why there's such a difference from BeerSmith.

I primed my hefeweizen at about 3.8.

Latest posts

Back