Priming Sugar for a Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmillb1

Reaction score
I will be bottling my first all grain brew next weekend (5 gallons of a 90 Shilling Scottish Ale), and have found online in several spots that I should be shooting for a target volume of CO2 around 2.0.

I am seeing SO many contradictory things online about priming sugar, so thought I'd come to the experts! :)

Per NB's calculator, I should be shooting for about 3 ounces of corn sugar...

John Palmer's book simply says 4 ounces (I assume that's just a middle range "catch-all" amount?)

And finally, a buddy who's more brewing-experienced just said to use 5 ounces and check one or two after two weeks to see the CO2 levels, and if they are too carbonated, just refrigerate them all to put the yeast to sleep.

I'm sure I've hit the dreaded "analysis paralysis" here, so wanted some more real-world advice. Thanks in advance!!

For a Scottish, I'd go on low end, but that's just personal preference.

So, more like 3 ounces, would you say? I was just worried about under-carbonating...split the 3/5 ounce debate with 4 ounces? :D

I did 3 ounces in a stout a while back. Despite having very little head, it was a big hit. Most importantly, I enjoyed it. That said, it's not like four will be bad. It's still less than average.

I had happened upon a chart showing ounces of sugar to volumes of CO2, but I don't remember were I found it.

I always carb to style. Use the NB calculator numbers. I just bottled an 80/- a few weeks ago, and it came out perfect at 2 volumns. I would never put in the same / arbitrary amount of sugar (eg 5 oz.) and then test for carbonation and refrigerate. You are asking for bottle bombs at worst or over carbonation at best. Besides, who wants to refrigerate 2 cases at once. I like to keep a variety in the fridge. I must about 10 different styles in my pipeline and who has the room to refrigerate that amount?

Latest posts

Back