Overly Dry Hopped, and Spiced Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircusBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys this is only me second batch ever but i decided to get adventuresome and splat a 5 gallon batch of what looked like it would turn out to be an amazing Irish Red All into 4 different secondary and edit them all a little bit to expand my palate to recognize different spices. One batch had about 1/5 an ounce of Hop pellets , one had about a teaspoon of Cardamom Seeds one had a Cinnamon stick, split in two pieces, and one had about a teaspoon of Chicory Root. I choose these off a LHBS suggestions, and used what they suggested for amounts. Well that was on Tuesday the 23, and I just checked on the beer, and it all smells dramatically different, and what I assume is way to spiced. I think the LHBS may have been giving me instructions for a 5 gallon batch and not the 1-2 gallon batches I made.
What are you thoughts? Is this beer ruined? Could I mix it with a store bought Red Ale in order to mellow out the spices some?
Thanks agian

Just based on my batch of mead that I have bottled recently....which was a 1 gallon batch, I was told to use 1 clove and 1 cinnamon stick. I wouldn't worry, just taste it when it's done. I bet it will be really good.

Thanks for the advice, i sure hope so..
I though I had read somewhere that a teaspoon was about enough for 5 gallons? is that incorrect?

Even if you did end up over-spicing it, everything will mellow out over time. Like hop aroma, spice aromas tend to fade during aging.

Back