New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > One yeast vial split between two starters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default One yeast vial split between two starters?

I am gonna be brewing a 1.100 OG beer here pretty soon and they suggest 2 litre starter.... Of course I dont have a vessel big enough for that.

So I was wondering if I could use one vial of white labs yeast and split it between two containers of starter wort??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
purechaos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i use 1 wyeast and grow the starter for a few days, then split it into 2 more starters, that way the yeast are active healthy, and not overly stressed.

since the volume of wort is small it might not matter but thats how i do it, its easier to measure and split 1000ml than 10ml

Old 07-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

What I would do is get two large containers. then grow the largest starter you can in container 1 over a few days. then when you have a lot of yeast, make up another starter in container two and pour half the yeast from starter a into it...then feed both til you have the volume you want.

In other words rather than split a low cell count, raise the cellcount first, THEN split it off...That is sort of how it works in nature, like with lions...when the herd grows too large for the area it is in, THEN a group splits off from the main colony and strikes out on their own for their own hunting ground. AND then both herds continue to grow....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Homercidal

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1203 Posts
Likes Given: 940

FWIW - You *could* brew a small ale and pitch on top of the yeast cake. Something not too hoppy or strong, like around 1.040 - 1.050. As long as you are spending time making lots of yeast, might as well get a bunch of beer out of it!

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I start with a 1 liter of wort, then step it up a day later to 2 liters, the next day I add another 1/2 liter of wort, then immediately split it up into three Erlenmeyer flasks and let it go another day. This works for me for one vial to 3 batches.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
FWIW - You *could* brew a small ale and pitch on top of the yeast cake. Something not too hoppy or strong, like around 1.040 - 1.050. As long as you are spending time making lots of yeast, might as well get a bunch of beer out of it!
Yeah, making a 1 gallon or even better a 2.5 gallon small beer would net you plenty of yeast. You could either just pitch your white labs directly for the small batch or make a small starter, but in this case it would be unnecessary. I have done 2.5 gallon strong belgian ales with one tube of yeast without a starter, and it was 6 month old yeast at that. I just gave it plenty of oxygen and the right temp and it took off like a rocket.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Ferment the starter in a carboy
Better yet, make a small beer with that yeast and then pitch the big one on the yeast cake

Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm gonna make a belgian blonde ale and pitch the dark strong on that cake or just take some of the yeast off of it.

Quick Reply