No activity on Yeast starter front

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
Last night I made 2 yeast starters using 1/2 gallon milk jugs (cleaned +sanitized) and wort of around 1.030-1.040 gravity. I made each started about 1.5 quarts. I also added just a pinch of yeast nutrient. However, I forgot to let the White Labs vials acclimate 3-6 hours prior to pitching, so to gently speed things up, I put them in a cup of luke warm tap water. Maybe 1-2 hrs later I pitched. I've been oxygenating lots, and the temp is probably in the low 70's. Its been 12 hours now and there's absolutely no activity, also I cann see the yeast at the bottom of the jugs. Any Ideas? I need to pitch in maybe 4-5 hours when my Hobgoblin Clone is ready. If the yeast hasn't started yet/ or isn't finished when I need to pitch, can/ should I just pour out most of the wort and toss the yeast in? Don't worry, I AM drinking a homebrew.

Your lack of research shows. You should have made your starter a few days in advance. Starters like any mini brew will need time to show activity and to build up a decent cell count.

Now you'll need to pitch the entire amount of your starter as the yeast is still in suspension in your starter wort. You aren't going to get the full benifit of a starter wort, but you can cross your fingers and pitch anyway. Chances are you will still make beer.

Your arrogance shows. Thanks for being condescending. But you probably feel better about yourself now.

"Doss says a starter made from an XL pack of yeast into 2 liters of wort will reach its maximum cell density within 12-18 hours. If you’re starting with a very small amount of yeast in a large starter, it can take 24 hours or more to reach maximum cell densities. For the average starter, let's just say that the bulk of the yeast growth is done by 12-18 hours."

This is from mrmalty.com Look for yourself.

I'm sorry if I came off that way to you. I didn't mean to.

But to talk about the time frame.... in that short time you'll have to pitch the entire starter as it will still contain a lot of yeast in suspension. As for ideas... looks like you oxygenated well and it just might be that the yeast is still using all the O2 to grow with.
OTOH when you put it into "luke warm" water did you know the excact temp of the water. If it was too hot it might have cooked some of the cells in the tube, reducing the amount you had to pitch.

Have you been swirling the starter every hour or two to keep the yeast in suspension? If you just let it all settle to the bottom and don't swirl it, your starter is going to be much smaller than it could be.

thought i'd jump in on this post and ask a starter question. i to started a starter and put it back in the fridge after 24 hrs. i let the yeast stay out all night before i did the starter. the airlock was starting to bubble when i decided i was not prepared to brew. it wasn't really in a full fermenting swing though. had just a little bit of activity.

when should i take it out for my brew session next week? 24hrs again?

PUD, take it out and swirl back into suspension the yeast and let it run its course.
After fermentation has finished, you then can put it into the fridge to let flocc out.

The day before brewday, remove it and decant the wort on top and add fresh wort to the yeast cake to wake it up. Let it climatize to your fermenting temperture and you'll be perfect to pitch the next day.

This is what I would do. Others may just decant and pitch the cold yeast cake. Either way works fine.

Back