My siphon problem and solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmathew

Reaction score
I had a problem when siphoning from my Carboy into my keg. The siphon hose would naturally curl and I had a hard time keeping it on the bottom to minimize aeration. Solution: I bought a 1/2 OD Pex pipe and attached it to the bottom of my hose. Works perfect. If anybody else has a better solution let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a problem when siphoning from my Carboy into my keg. The siphon hose would naturally curl and I had a hard time keeping it on the bottom to minimize aeration. Solution: I bought a 1/2 OD Pex pipe and attached it to the bottom of my hose. Works perfect. If anybody else has a better solution let me know!

Couple options. Boil some water in a tall electric tea kettle (or pot or whatever) imerse the end of the line in the hot water. It will streighten the vinal hose reseting it's "memory".

If you imerse the whole line in very hot water, then lift it up, and let gravity pull it down, it will have less of a twist when it cools down.

If you set the syphon in the empty keg, you can eye ball it, snip off the end of the line so that it's just above the base of the keg. It will splash at first, but be over quickly.

If you charge the empty keg with co2, purge the headspace well, recharge it, then let it sit for a couple minuets. Release the presure, take off the lid, then gently drop the end of the syphon down. You will have a gradient of co2 on the bottom above the end of the syphon. Air ontop. It will last long enough.

You could probably figure out a way to siphon the beer down through the dip tube, but i exspect it would be a huge pain.

You could also, not worrie about airatuion so much. It's probably not an issue, the finished beer is loaded with co2 already. The surface aria at the top is the gradual long term worrie. Purging the headspace will fix that.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
P.S. couldn't get the spell check to work this time.

--Adam Selene

Used a hose clamp from 1/2 hose to Pex 3/8 ID 1/2 OD pipe. Easy to take apart.

I took a 3/8 racking cane and cut the short end a little past the 'L'. This come in handy with my bottling bucket, as with it clamped to the side and at the bottom, it swirls and stirs the beer from the bottom up, distributing the priming sugar.

Use a barbed ball lock on the out port of the keg. Hook up your siphoning hose to it and let it drain. Very little aeration will occur especially if you purge the keg with co2 leaving the lid on with the poppet valve open. This is what I do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Use a barbed ball lock on the out port of the keg. Hook up your siphoning hose to it and let it drain. Very little aeration will occur especially if you purge the keg with co2 leaving the lid on with the poppet valve open. This is what I do.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Same here.

That is a way better solution. Thanks for the tip as I knew it could not be that hard.

Latest posts

Back