Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Madness in my Method?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #21
Mindflux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
Meaning add all the grain to the tun and then pump hot water in through the false bottom?

Pump...I've been putting off adding one for many years since I burned out my last one...very handy when they're working, but best not to count on them in my experience
Yes sir. Just like that. As the water rises through the FB/Braided hose/whathave you.. the grain absorbs it.. the folks who use this method do not usually need to stir to keep dough-balls from forming.. SUPPOSEDLY this leads to less heat loss in the transfer as well (like when I dump 3 gallons of hot water into my MT it lets off a lot of steam).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #22
Mindflux
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janx
Do you find your efficiency is much better batch sparging than...whatever the regular way is called?

I tend to do the regular "flow" sparging until I get 3/4 of my volume. I then shut off the sparge and add enough hot water to the mash to cover it. I then start heating my kettle. Once it's about 10 degrees shy of boiling, I drain the mash tun into the kettle to collect the remaining 1/4 of my boil volume. The runnings are always much sweeter for a brief period after this "rest".

I haven't bothered to measure my efficiency in a long time...I'm not into that aspect of brewing. But, it does seem to be more efficient to do at least this "hybrid" method of sparging just based on tasting the runnings.

When I first started brewing, no one even talked about batch sparging...

Cheers!
Batch Sparging compared to Continuous Sparging, or Fly Sparging or to the old schoolers, simply Sparging isn't quite as efficient (although some batch spargers claim otherwise). In general most folks see a 5 point increase from Fly(Continous) in comparison to Batch.

There are however, folks that batch sparge and reach the high 70s to low 80s in efficiency (which is just freakin un-real! I'd love to get those numbers).

The good stuff about batch sparging:
Decrease your brew day by an hour
No need to monitor pH closely
Damn near impossible to over-sparge.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Ofrmeister,
Here's the recipe I was mentioning, it's one I got from a mag and used as a base for my chipotle ale, but it tasted pretty good before I added the chipotles, so I might try a 'naked' version myself:

American Brown Ale
5g/19l
OG 1056 FG 1014
IBU 44 SRM 39 ABV 5.4%

4.5lbs Maris Otter
4.5lbs light Munich
1.2lbs crystal (120L)
10oz chocolate
10oz biscuit
10oz torrefied wheat
8.5aau Target hops (80m)
4aau Willamette (20m)
1.6oz Willamette (0m)

White Labs WLP006 British Ale yeast (2l starter)
.75c corn sugar priming

It sounded perfect until I started typing it and realized it was perhaps not as Newcastley as it could be. However, it's fairly straightforward. I imagine you could eliminate the torrefied wheat and add another 1/2lb of Marris Otter to simplify the grist. You could also replace the Willamette hops with Fuggle. You'll need to scale up for your 23L, as well!

Quick Reply