lots of dry hop additions. hop bag or cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I'm dry hopping a double IPA with 8oz of hops and I want to somehow come away with a relatively clear beer. I've seen some people use hop bags and other people use paint strainer bags and i'm just confused as to what specifically I should use and how to use it.

I also have temperature control so I am able to cold crash prior to bottling. Does cold crashing settle the hop-matter to the bottom?

If using pellets the cold crash will settle most of it. I personally would do both, use a hop bag and cold crash. Pull the bag before you crash as pulling it will stir things up.

I am not sure about using leaf hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't cold crash before I keg because I don't have the means but I just toss the hops in directly and then when it's time to keg, I tie a grain bag or paint strainer bag to the end of my autosiphon and it pretty much filters out all the solid materials. After carbing, the beer comes out pretty clear. This also works well with fruit beers to filter out seeds and fruit pieces.

If you have the means to cold crash, I would (and do) use free-swimming pellets for four to five days then cold crash them to the bottom before racking...

Cheers!

If you are planning on pitching the slurry or washing the yeast it is better to use a hop bag. If not you can do with day triprs advice

Back