How long can my primary stay in plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
I brewed a ginger beer almost 3 weeks ago. Its still in a plastic (standard issue from LHBS) primary. How long can it sit there? Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend but if I can't, am I asking for trouble?

D

You will be fine. There is a debate around here if Secondaries are even needed or required.

You should be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't leave it in an ale pail for more than 2 weeks. With a glass carboy or better bottle, I have no problem leaving the beer for 3-4 weeks. However, MANY people leave it in the ale pails with no problem. Most "beginner equipment kits" come with 2 plastic buckets, one to be used as a secondary.

I think you'll be fine.

Maybe I am mistaken but that second bottle in most Noob kits is a bottling bucket. Using it as a secondary will just get messy as hell

you're fine. i use buckets and carboys. you can leave it in there for weeks without a problem. i've used the bucket for over a month without a problem. it really takes a long time for the oxygen to get in there.

and i would not use a bucket for a secondary. use glass or a better bottle.

Thanks guys,

yeah, I use glass for secondaries and the other plastic for bottling exclusively.

D

I've started leaving my beers on the yeastcake in my bucket for a month (and skipping the secondary), and they've been tremendously clean, clear and crisp. Once fermentation is done, the yeasts have the opportunity to clean up after themselves in ways that they can't when you rack to secondary...It's an amazing improvement.

So you'll be fine!

i regularly leave my beer in plastic buckets for weeks, i have never had a problem with oxidation. i know plastic is supposed to be permiable to oxygen but i dont think enough can go through in that short of time.

you're fine. i use buckets and carboys. you can leave it in there for weeks without a problem. i've used the bucket for over a month without a problem. it really takes a long time for the oxygen to get in there.

and i would not use a bucket for a secondary. use glass or a better bottle.

Uh Oh... I've been using a bucket for secondary. Should i be concerned?

Back