Hot break in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
What is the downside of almost all the hot break ending up in the fermenter?

My keggle drain is either incorrectly sized, or incorrectly designed; when I attempt to run off into the fermenter, it takes far too long.

I ended up dipping it out with a pot and pouring the wort into the bucket. I had a nice heap of hot break whirlpooled in the center, and it ended up going into the fermenter as I dipped.

I had a good cold break, going from 132F to 78F in a matter of 30 minutes or so, bucket in an ice bath. What will be the downside of all the hotbreak in the bucket?

What will be the downside of all the hotbreak in the bucket?

More trub in the bottom of your primary fermenter. I don't see this as a problem, but some people feel their beer taste better if they limit the amount of trub during transfer. I've tried it both ways and I can't tell a difference in taste.

Palmer says:

There will be a considerable amount of hot break, cold break and hops in the bottom of the boiling pot after cooling. It is a good idea to remove the hot break (or the break in general) from the wort before fermenting. The hot break consists of various proteins and fatty acids which can cause off-flavors, although a moderate amount of hot break can go unnoticed in most beers. The cold break is not considered to be much of a problem, in fact a small amount of cold break in the fermenter is good because it can provide the yeast with needed nutrients. The hops do not matter at all except that they take up room.

Try to prevent the majority of the hot and cold break from getting into the fermenter...If some hops and break make it into the fermenter, it is not a big deal.

Back