Hops in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
Tried a search and came up with very little. I've read that hops in the mash can produce a great hop flavor and aroma. I've tried dryhopping with up to 3 ounces of leaf hops in a couple secondaries and still didn't get the aroma I wanted. I really love that aroma in an IPA. Has anyone ever used this method? Or maybe I'm using the wrong hops. I've used Cascade and Fuggle. Is there a better aroma/flavor hop?

Dan

you dry hopped a five gallon batch with 3 oz of hops and that wasnt enough?
Ive dry hopped my last IPA with 1 oz of amarillo for a week and then added another 1oz of amarillo for another week (2 weeks total). This beer stinks...in a verrrrry good way.
Ive also dryed hopped with 1 oz columbus for about 2 weeks in another IPA. That one was very smelly also.

So i guess my question is...How long have you dry hopped for?

in terms of mashing with the hops....its kinda like a first wort hop addition, which also is supposed to stabalize the flavor and aroma of the hops. I say go for it.

I would think you would lose the flavor and aroma during the boil. I am thinking about bottle hopping a couple bottles of my IPA (drop a flower in the bottle after filling) and see what happens.

Yeast Infection said:
you dry hopped a five gallon batch with 3 oz of hops and that wasnt enough?
Ive dry hopped my last IPA with 1 oz of amarillo for a week and then added another 1oz of amarillo for another week (2 weeks total). This beer stinks...in a verrrrry good way.
Ive also dryed hopped with 1 oz columbus for about 2 weeks in another IPA. That one was very smelly also.

So i guess my question is...How long have you dry hopped for?

in terms of mashing with the hops....its kinda like a first wort hop addition, which also is supposed to stabalize the flavor and aroma of the hops. I say go for it.
I've dryhopped for two weeks in two different batches. But maybe it's the hops. Cascade and fuggle. Maybe I need a more pungeant hop? Beers I tend to like are the DFH 60 minute and the Rogue Dryhop Red. Both have a lot of flavor and a good hop nose. I want the hops to punch you in the face.

Dan

go pick up some simcoe and play with that. That hop solved my "I want more hop aroma" woes... Simcoe is Sam Calagione's favorite new toy recently. A lot of the big american IPAs are using it now. I filled my randal with some and no matter what you put through it it was wonderful!

Cascade are usually good for this, if they are fresh. My homegrown ones do, anyway. But the Amarillo I used to dry hop my last IPA really gave that 'smack-in-the-nose' hop punch I think you're looking for.

mash hopping....

Ive been wanting to give this a try here in the future. Ive done first wort hop a couple times and was pleased with the smoothness of the bitterness. I hear mash hopping really brings out the flavor more though. Not 100% on this though.

The key to major hop aroma is using several different hops that will blend. I think your nose has limits for each aroma, so a variety works well. Cascades will "run over" Fuggles. Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Perle will all work better with Cascades.

[I'm waiting for a member of OBC to write up his studies of mash hopping. I'll post it (or a link) once it's available.]

Sounds like someone actually NEEEEDS a hop transducer... cant get punchier and fresh aroma than beer poured through one of those.

Willsellout said:
OK cool..so simcoe and amarillo. Both hops I've never used before, I will pick some of those up.

Dan

By far my favorite mixture. The aroma of those two together is really something special.

Simcoe is my new favorite hop. Amazing.

banjopicker16 said:
Sounds like someone actually NEEEEDS a hop transducer... cant get punchier and fresh aroma than beer poured through one of those.

is that like a randall?

OktoberFest_051_HopbackBar.jpg

Willsellout said:
I've dryhopped for two weeks in two different batches. But maybe it's the hops. Cascade and fuggle. Maybe I need a more pungeant hop?

If 3 oz. of Cascade for dry-hopped for two weeks didn't "punch you in the nose", I think you need a new hop supplier. I'd think you could smell that through the keg (or bottle) if the hops were any good...

Oh, and I'm not sure what mash-hopping is supposed to do...seems like it wouldn't add bitterness (no boil to isomerize the acids) OR flavor/aroma (would all vaporize in the boil).

Anyone have an answer for that? (sorry for the hijack, but I think this was the original question...) :D

Bike N Brew said:
If 3 oz. of Cascade for dry-hopped for two weeks didn't "punch you in the nose", I think you need a new hop supplier. I'd think you could smell that through the keg (or bottle) if the hops were any good...
Cascade was from hopsdirect and the fuggle was from Freshops. Although the cascade do seem a bit mellow.

Dan

Bike N Brew said:
Reputable suppliers bith! Damn, you must have a helluva hop nose :mug:
I don't know..but I tend to lean towards the extreme in everything. So if I have an IPA and it's not maxxed out..I get kind of bummed. That's why I love my Latest IPA using Summit hops..what a beautiful beer...perfect in almost every way..but not the hop aroma I was looking for. That's allright, I am brewing it again this summer and will try out some Amarillo and simcoe in it.

Dan

Is it possible that the hops I got, which I ordered recently, are just kind of old and have lost some of their aroma? Don't they harvest at the end of summer?

Dan

Willsellout said:
Is it possible that the hops I got, which I ordered recently, are just kind of old and have lost some of their aroma? Don't they harvest at the end of summer?
Possible, but not likely from those sources...seems they take pretty good care of their hops. Harvest would have been last fall, but still...

I just got some whole Centennial and Willamette from another source...added 1 oz of each of those at flameout to the barleywine I brewed. You can smell that (just whats coming through the airlock) from 20 feet. As my wife said when we walked into the house yesterday, "it smells like a beer in here".

Exactly!l :D

Back