High Heat + mold + stupidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsyGirl

Reaction score
photo.php

I started a batch of partial grain/extract porter a few weeks ago. Transfered it to the secondary, and then forgot about it. The past two weeks we have had an awesome heat wave, and my un-airconditioned house was over 100 degrees during the day.

So I knew that my beer was going to taste funky. Even better, when I opened the bucket today it was covered in the most beautiful white mold. Since I had already been enjoying some brew, I thought: "meh. It's just mold." So I racked it under the mold and bottled it as normal. Tastes ok; a little strong.

Should I worry about killing my friends with this stuff? It didn't taste bad; Just a hint of rubbing alcohol.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31447466&l=28dabcf329&id=1427990077

I wouldn't recommend buckets for secondaries. Plastic carboys like the Better Bottle with a tight seal via a medium universal airlock make mold pretty much an impossibility.

The beer should be ok if you racked from under the mold. Still, I would suggest drinking it slowly and watching for GI-effects before downing it my the mass (liter).

For sure use glass if you feel the need to secondary. Also, you really might want to think about controlling your fermentation temps. It can be as simple as the "Swamp Cooler" method.

I don't think I would drink it, but that's just me.

Thanks guys. It's funny you mention the Better Bottle. I usually use one as a secondary, but I was extra lazy this time and didn't want to scrub it out. So I just used the bucket and hammered on the lid, with airlock, real tight, and then forgot about it because it wasn't in the (noticeable) carboy.

I drank the taste-test 6 hours ago and haven't died yet, so I think it's ok. Maybe it won't taste so much like rubbing alcohol after it bottle conditions.

I'm extra lazy all the time (says my wife). I rinse then fill my better bottles with oxyclean and let them sit a week or so. Throw in a washcloth to wet, drain the oxyclean, swirl the rag around the inside a few times then rinse. Gets them squeaky clean.

I'm extra lazy all the time (says my wife). I rinse then fill my better bottles with oxyclean and let them sit a week or so. Throw in a washcloth to wet, drain the oxyclean, swirl the rag around the inside a few times then rinse. Gets them squeaky clean.

Wow, you've got great aim

So now one of my esteemed buddies, who has been homebrewing since before I was born, tells me that I need to dump the beer. His words: "It won't kill you, but you'll be on the toilet for days if you drink that stuff."

Granted, I didn't drink very much of it, but I felt fine. I'm still planning on letting it bottle condition and then give it another taste in a few weeks.

Back