Figuring Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hello,

Being only my second all-grain and giddy with excitement & being careful to do everything else, I took an SG just prior to boil but forget to get a OG when I pitched my yeast and began fermentation.

Question is, can I roughly figure out my abv by using the SG and getting a FG once fermentation is compete?

I don't know how accurate it will be, but I'd like to roughly figure it out.

Cheers,
J

Sure you can if you have samples of the wort. Download BeerSmith and enter your recipe and enter the actual OG. The program will give you the estimated alcohol. When the final gravity is obtained then you can have the actual alcohol by volume.

BeerSmith: http://www.beersmith.com/

There are other calculation formulas out there...not that beersmith is bad, just letting you know the options.

If you tracked your volumes you can calculate your OG. For example if your SG preboil was 1.050 and you had 6 gals and then boiled it down to 5 which went into your fermentor your OG would have been:

50"points/g" * 6g = 300 "total points'
300 "total points" / 5g = 60"points/g" -> 1.060

GT

Back