Fermentation Temperature Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
I just moved into a new house and the basement is AWESOME! It's dark, dry, and stays a constant 60F.

Here's the issue, when I make an ale, it is a little too cold for a good fermentation. And if I do a lager, 60F is a little too hot. Like a backwards goldilocks situation...

Are there any tricks or processes that you all know of to remedy this issue? Also, is 60F ambient really too cool for Ales or would it be okay?

A heat belt would help raise 60 degrees to 70 degrees. For solutions to cool down just google Homebrewtalk Swamp Cooler.

I have brewed some good ales at 60 degrees.

TPH

Nottingham dry yeast works well at 60 and probably can handle even as far down as 55. Set your fermenter on something to insulate it from the floor and you'll be fine. For those yeasts that prefer a little warmer, set the fermenter in a tub of water and add heat as necessary. It won't take much heat to keep the fermenter at 65.

Set your fermenter on something to insulate it from the floor and you'll be fine.

I hadn't thought of that. The concrete would really suck a lot of heat out of it. I tried to remedy that a while back with a towel but I'll try and set it up on a crate or something.

Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't know that Notty and S-05 would preform that well in the lower 60s. I also looked at the swamp cooler...seems simple enough. Has anyone had good/bad experience wrapping a damp towel around it with the bottom in cool water and a fan? That was something else I read about...

I hadn't thought of that. The concrete would really suck a lot of heat out of it.

I'm not sure what kind of fermenters you're using, but if you're using glass carboys, NEVER set them directly onto concrete, especially if they're full. Concrete is rough and uneven, as is the glass in many carboys. If a "peak" in the rippling texture of the glass rests against a similar "peak" in the concrete floor, especially with the weight of 5 gallons of liquid pressing down on it, you can easily crack and destroy your carboy.

Always ensure there is something separating your glass carboys from the concrete floor, such as cardboard, wood, or plastic.

Latest posts

Back