The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "Dry hopping" with tea leaves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
bferullo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default "Dry hopping" with tea leaves

I am making a int chocolate stout. I used 100% pure peppermint tea (so its basically really finely ground peppermint leaves) in the last few minutes of the boil and let it steep into cooling.

if I crack it open to bottle and don't get enough mint flavor, can I dry hop with the tea...i.e throw in a few tea bags and let them sit for a few days? Will it help any and do I run any sanitation risks?

I want to avoid using peppermint oil or flavorings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Locksmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have worked with tea and mint in my brews before and would not recommend adding them directly as a dry hop, tea is somewhat antibacterial but not enough to risk it. Besides that, mint oil does not dissolve well in cool liquids other than higher proof booze or oil.

Two suggestions would be either soak leaves in vodka for 2 weeks, strain, let it breath a day or two to reduce and then add to secondary or at bottling to taste.

You can also brew a strong tea and use it as your priming sugar solution at bottling.

A good quality mint oil should actually be a safe bet as they often are 100% pure cold extracted and sterile. Not a chemical mix of crap like fruit extracts usually are.

Hope I helped, good luck

I do more with less than most do at all!

Look at all the Everything!

It's my pleasure to Meat You!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply