Dry Hop/Cold Crash??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsully82

Reaction score
Just brewed my first IPA (6th brew). Was meant to be an IIPA, but misread the recipe and used LME instead of DME, ended up with an OG of 1.052. Anyway, when buying whole hops to dry hop, the guy at my beer store recommended pellets. I decided I'd try both pellets and hops.

So here's the situation: I added 1 oz pellets to the primary after I added my yeast. I planned on adding 2 oz whole leaf (without the nylon bag) to the secondary. After reading some of the dry hop forums on here I've been left wondering the following:

1) Will I need to cold crash my primary after 5 days to avoid a nasty flavor or can I just leave it for as long as it needs?

2) I was planning on secondarying for two weeks with the hops in there the entire time, but it looks as though I need to wait on hops, perhaps even stagger the additions - Can I just dry hop for 2 weeks with the 2 oz of hops or should I wait to add them 5 days prior to bottling? And if so, would it be advantageous to split them into 2 1oz batches for 2-3 days a batch?

If you leave the hops in for too long, you might get grassy or vegetal flavors. 2 weeks is pushing what I've heard as the "safe" time, though I'm sure some people go that long with no problems. I'd go 7-10 days, or you could stagger them and do an ounce at 8 and 5 days. Up to you.

I'm more curious about the hops that went in with the yeast. I think those will get mostly blown out by CO2. Or did we decide that's not a real concern?

Most often you want to work backwards from bottling/canning date to figure out when to dry hop. You'll know that date by figuring out if your fermentation is finished and knowing how long you plan to age the beer to let the yeast clean up. I usually do a 3-4 day dry hop for each pack of dryhops. I'll double dry hop DIPAs and single dry hop most IPAs.

Thanks for the feedback guys - There wasn't nearly as heavy fermentation as I'd expected. I hooked up a blowoff hose, but it doesn't look like I'm going to need it. Some of the hops rose in the krausen, but a lot of them are still in there. I'm planning on siphoning with a sanitized grain bag over the racking cane as some of the other threads suggested.

Latest posts

Back