Cold crash primary before dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I have a BIPA that's been in primary for 2 weeks now and I'm ready to dry hop. What's the consensus on cold crashing to remove yeast/sediment before adding the dry hops to primary? I know that less particulate material = better extraction, but mine has been sitting for 2 weeks, then roused the yeast about 3 days ago @ 68 degrees. Think that yeast and trub would have settled out by now? Would there be a noticeable difference at this point? I just want to make sure I get the maximum aroma extraction and have a chest freezer to cold crash in. Thanks!~

I don't know what difference cold-crashing prior to dry-hopping could possibly make. Your dry-hop addition will add additional sediment to the beer anyway. As far as the yeast being settled by now, it really depends on if they have finished their good work. Have you reached your Final Gravity?

I cold crash before dry hopping all the time. As for the difference, can't really tell since I consistently do it, I also cold crash after dry hopping too

Yes I've reached my final gravity. By cold crashing before dry hopping I would be forcing any remaining yeast/trub to drop out of suspension, thus allowing for better hop aroma extraction.

I guess a better question would be: does anyone know about how long it typically takes for 5 gallons to clear at room temp? Since I roused only 3 days ago I'm thinking a cold crash could be beneficial.

...thus allowing for better hop aroma extraction.

I have never heard of such a phenomenon. Dry-hopping works well for adding hop aroma. However, if you really want to give your beer a hoppy aroma puch then you should think about jacking up your late hop additions in the boil. This would do a hell of a lot more for you than dropping suspended yeast before dry-hopping (I still have no idea how this would allow for "better hop aroma extraction").

I guess a better question would be: does anyone know about how long it typically takes for 5 gallons to clear at room temp? Since I roused only 3 days ago I'm thinking a cold crash could be beneficial.

It depends on how clear you want it. The longer you leave a beer the clearer it becomes. I have racked beer off the yeast cake and left it for two months before because I could not get to my dry-hop due to being out of town. I will tell you that was the clearest beer I have ever brewed. However, a few days of cold-crashing should clear things up decently (no idea about time tables at room temp). The only advice I can give is leave it until it's as clear as you want it.

I cold crash primary AFTER I dry hop, that way the trub (which has mostly dropped already) and the hop pellet material both drop before racking to a keg. I typically start the dry hop as fermentation is nearly complete (within .002 points or so of target FG.

I've read here that if there are a lot of yeast in suspension the aroma terpenes coat the yeast and are taken away when they floc out. Not sure if this is true, but I've read it in several threads.

I added 3oz of late addition hops (2oz in whirlpool steep) and the beer has massive hop flavor already so I'm not going to deliberate over it too much. I'll just toss the dry hops in and wait a week.

I wonder how much of that "lost aroma" is actually perceivable? Has anyone A/B'd two batches from the same wort, one that was dry hopped after cold crash and one not? Just curious...

Split it, try both, report back.

Personally I dry hop in the ferm chamber set to 35F, so I basically cold crash and dry hop at the same time. Works for me.

I'll leave that to someone with more time on their hands ;)

As for temp, dry hopping cold takes much longer to extract the same aromatics. Not saying it's not an effective method, but you'll get a lot more out of your hops @ 60-65F.

Here's a link to an informative Q&A with Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing, all about hopping:

[URL="http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8057.0;prev_next=next#new"]http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8057.0;prev_next=next#new[/URL]

As for temp, dry hopping cold takes much longer to extract the same aromatics. Not saying it's not an effective method, but you'll get a lot more out of your hops @ 60-65F.

Here's a link to an informative Q&A with Mitch Steele of Stone Brewing, all about hopping:

[URL="http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8057.0;prev_next=next#new"]http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=8057.0;prev_next=next#new[/URL]

Normally I will cold crash for the final 3 days of my typical 7-day dry-hopping schedule. Most of the utilization will take place before the final three days. I suppose if I were looking to maximize my utilization to minimize my cost related to a business plan and profitability I would consider these fine tunings. However, as a recreational homebrewer I am much more concerned about keeping consistency in the recipes I use (particularly maintaining my house recipes) than I am at trying to squeeze maximum potential out of my ingredients.

Any tidbit of info from experienced professionals is always worth the read and consideration though.

I'll leave that to someone with more time on their hands ;)

Let me clarify:

I ferment cold or whatever - 55-65F for however long it takes. Usually 2 weeks.
Then I'll pull the beer out and let it sit at room temp for about a week, just to make sure the yeasts finish everything off, and clean up/whatever. This may be unneccessary but it works for me.
If I'm dry-hopping, I'll add the hops to the fermenter. Then, I'll set the ferm chamber to 35, and put the beer back in and leave it for a week.

I'm guessing that it takes a while for that 70F beer to actually get all the way down to 35F. I haven't noticed a difference in hop aroma since doing this vs. just dry-hopping at room temp before I had the ferm. chamber.

Anyway much like fermentation, I have a feeling that the first 24-36 hours are critical when dry-hopping.

Back